• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Slight engine knock

wayne712222
User
Posted: 06/13/14 08:15 AM

with the fan belt off so the fan is NOT making a LOT of air movement that screws up the audio recording..

use a video camera or a cell phone to record the engine making noise...

post it to you tube... its free...

i will be around..  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 06/13/14 08:16 AM

with the fan belt off so the fan is NOT making a LOT of air movement that screws up the audio recording..

use a video camera or a cell phone to record the engine making noise...

post it to you tube... its free...

i will be around..  

kepaloha
New User
Posted: 06/18/14 10:26 AM

Hi wayne712222, sorry for the late reply, but I got the vid up of it running with out the fan belt on it and you can hear the "rattle" sound better.

http://youtu.be/DmkD9QC1K0s

Not sure if it's the start causing it, as when I pulled it to recheck the crank, i noticed that I could kind of turn the sprocket a bit with my fingers and this is a new starter too.  

kepaloha
New User
Posted: 06/18/14 10:26 AM

Hi wayne712222, sorry for the late reply, but I got the vid up of it running with out the fan belt on it and you can hear the "rattle" sound better.

http://youtu.be/DmkD9QC1K0s

Not sure if it's the start causing it, as when I pulled it to recheck the crank, i noticed that I could kind of turn the sprocket a bit with my fingers and this is a new starter too.  Confused  

kepaloha
New User
Posted: 06/18/14 10:27 AM

Sorry about the extra post there.  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 06/18/14 02:13 PM

that sounds horrible..

oil pressure check..

compression check...

stick a big breaker bar on the crank bolt. and rock the crank back and forth.  just small fractions while listening to the various sounds inside the motor..

i would also want to verify the spark plug firing order....  

kepaloha
New User
Posted: 06/19/14 11:04 AM

Makes you just Cringe doesn't it!

compression check call came back between 148 and 152 accept #8 that came in at 140.  I haven't done an oil pressure check yet though, I'm still new at this so I don't know where to check it at, I've been so disheartened lately with it, that I don't even want to read up anymore. Frown  

But I will try the breaker bar, is there anything specific that I should be listening for?  

cushman350
Enthusiast
Posted: 06/19/14 02:14 PM

Sounds like a Power Stroke diesel. Everything rattling.  

kepaloha
New User
Posted: 07/01/14 10:29 AM

lol, it does sound like a diesel doesn't it.  Off topic question or maybe it's part of it, are the push rods hollow so the oil can come up through them to get to the rocker arms? I'm wondering if some of them might be clogged and not enough oil is  coming through?  When I run the engine without the valve covers, I see oil poring over but not enough that will pour or shoot everywhere.. i only have maybe one that shoots oil out and a few others that you can visually see oil coming out and over,, but nothing to be shooting oil everywhere... Confused  

if that might be the case, could a lack of enough oil getting to the internals be causing the noise?  

cushman350
Enthusiast
Posted: 07/02/14 04:37 AM

Definitely rattling, but from where? Yes, the oil comes up through the push rods. A cheap 289/302 sacrificial valve cover with the top cut off is handy for running an engine to observe oil delivery. It can be bolted down with a gasket to minimize an oil mess. Otherwise, I turn the oil pump by hand by removing the distributor and use a speed wrench and extension and socket to fit the oil pump drive shaft. Then turn and observe each rocker arm for flow. When I rebuild a motor, I always hand check the oil flow before starting.

Have you checked each cylinder at TDC to check for rocker arm lash that should not be there? Hydraulic lifters at TDC should be hand tightened until the rocker contacts the push rod then preloaded 1/2 to 5/8 of a turn.  

kepaloha
New User
Posted: 07/15/14 11:40 AM

Sorry for the late update, but I think I have it.  I pulled all the push rods out, ran them under the wire wheel and cleaned them all out and made sure that all the passageways were clear down the middle of the rod.  Put them back in and re-adjusted while running.  

While I was adjusting I noticed that cyl 4,5,6 and 7 were very slow for oil to come up over the rockers, but after about 15, slowly oil started to come over but certainly not a to the point that I needed my cardboard makeshift contraption to keep the oil from spilling out over the headers.  On Cyl 6 the intake rocker, no oil at all was coming up over.  I also ran CD2 in t as well to try to clean out any gummy gunk and after all the cleaning and adjusting and driving her around for a few miles, the diesel sound went away!!!  but after parking and letting it sit for 10min, then going back out and starting it up, the sound was there again.  Took another drive and it went away.

This leads me to believe that there is some oil starvation going on, that maybe I should replace or pull and clean the lifters and run a cleaner again through it until all the gunk is out and again another oil change?

What is your opinions on this thought before I start digging into it?

Thank you again guys for all your pointers and helping me to look at other areas to work on....  Laugh