• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

vinyl top installation

CNTAJOHN
New User
Posted: 01/02/11 09:43 AM

I have a 1965 mustang coupe. It did not come with a vinyl top but I want to install one. In instructions I have read the installers used aluminum strips behind the drip rails. I don't have them. Are the aluminum strips necessary or can it be installed without them. I have installed vinyl tops on other cars without rails. Are the aluminum rails mustang specific.  

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 01/05/11 02:29 PM

I seem to recall an article in MM within the last 2 years that installs a vinyl top. perhaps it's here in the tech articles.  

cushman350
Enthusiast
Posted: 01/05/11 06:22 PM

Vinyl Top Replace MM

Quote "On '65-'66 Mustangs, small aluminum strips were riveted into the driprails to retain the edges of the top. Like most, the strips on our hardtop were broken at the sharp corners over the rear quarter window, and we quickly learned that these strips, not reproduced at this time, are hard to locate. Fortunately, we were able to locate an intact pair at Mustangs Etc."  

garyred
New User
Posted: 10/08/12 09:55 PM

Mustangs Etc. does have the strips, but they're $100.  Go down to a local sheet metal fabrication shop that has at least an 8 foot shear.  They can shear the strips for you.  It cost me $15 for the labor.  The shear twists the aluminum, but it's simple to untwist.  Put one end in a vice, grab the other end with a vice grip and untwist.  You'll want to ease the sharp edges with a sander.  Clamp the strips in place and drill the holes using the drip rail holes as guides.  They came out perfect.  Make sure you fully prep and drill the holes before you put on the vinyl top.