• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Wheel hub help

Thoms_40
New User
Posted: 11/18/11 11:53 AM

Does anyone know how hard it is to change a front wheel hub w/abs. The bearings in mine are starting to go bye bye. A buddy of mine said he could repack them and just buy a rear seal but they only sell the hub.  

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 11/18/11 01:09 PM

Welcome. Could you dial this in a little for us and furnish the year make model of vehicle you're talking about? that would help.  

Thoms_40
New User
Posted: 11/18/11 02:46 PM

It is a 98 with abs and a 3.8 motor. It also is the drivers side. Basic mustang no gt or cobra  

waynep7122
Guru
Posted: 11/19/11 12:00 AM

these are NOT repairable..  they are NOT repackable..

they are really easy to change... with a few tools .. not just a wrench and pliers..

0996B43f80201291

do you need instructions on this????

perhaps this is a better image

0996B43f80223d67

Adjustment

The front wheel bearings are an integral part of the hub assembly. They require no periodic maintenance or adjustment. If the bearings are found to be defective, they must be replaced along with the hub assembly.

Inspection

NOTE
Be sure not to confuse the lower ball joint looseness with wheel bearing looseness.

Wheel bearings that need replacing may be indicated by a noise that occurs only during turning. Diagnose the wheel bearings as follows:

Road test the vehicle on a smooth road. Make sharp turns to the right and left.
If the vehicle makes noises on right turns, the left wheel bearing may need to be replaced.
If the vehicle makes noises on left turns, the right wheel bearing may need to be replaced.

Raise and safely support the vehicle.
Using one hand on top of the tire and one hand on the bottom, rock the wheel assembly to check for wheel bearing looseness.
Spin the tire quickly by hand and be sure that the tire rotates smoothly and without noise from the wheel bearings.
Remove the wheel and disc brake caliper.
Position a dial indicator, such as Ford Position Dial Indicator with Bracketry TOOL-4201-C, against the wheel bearing hub. Push and pull on the hub and read the hub movement range on the dial indicator. The maximum allowable hub play is 0.002 in. (0.05mm). If end-play exceeds the specified value, replace the wheel hubs.

Removal & Installation

Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions at the beginning of this section.
Remove front wheel.
Remove disc brake caliper and rotor.
Remove grease cap.
Remove spindle retainer nut.
Remove hub and bearing assembly.

To install:

Install hub and bearing assembly. Tighten the spindle retainer nut to 221-295 ft. lbs. (300-400 Nm).
Install grease cap.
Install disc brake caliper and rotor.
Install front wheel  

MustangMan
Posted: 11/21/11 06:30 AM

The hub, as shown above, uses a sealed cartridge bearing. There's no servicing/repacking option. If the bearing is truly making noise, you simply replace the whole hub assembly. They are the same for V-6, GT, and Cobra, so if you can find a good used one online or at a local salvage yard it might save some money.

The retaining nut is a 36mm, so you might have to go buy the right size socket. As noted above it is roughly 250 ft/lb to torque the nut (and you should use a new nut each time it is removed). My big 1/2-inch torque wrench just hits 250, so it's quite the pull on the wrench to get it to "click" when tightening these hub nuts. As one friend jokingly said to me one time, pull until you fart, and then pull some more, then it should be tight! LOL

Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 11/22/11 01:10 PM

Icon QuoteMustangMan:
The hub, as shown above, uses a sealed cartridge bearing. There's no servicing/repacking option. If the bearing is truly making noise, you simply replace the whole hub assembly. They are the same for V-6, GT, and Cobra, so if you can find a good used one online or at a local salvage yard it might save some money.

The retaining nut is a 36mm, so you might have to go buy the right size socket. As noted above it is roughly 250 ft/lb to torque the nut (and you should use a new nut each time it is removed). My big 1/2-inch torque wrench just hits 250, so it's quite the pull on the wrench to get it to "click" when tightening these hub nuts. As one friend jokingly said to me one time, pull until you fart, and then pull some more, then it should be tight! LOL

Mark

I never quite thought about but in retrospect your friend is a philosopher in the rough (I'm here to say I've one a my share of farting over the years while torquing) Smirk  Smirk  Grin