• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

value of car

mowman
New User
Posted: 01/18/12 10:44 AM

I am looking at a 2010 base mustang 6 automatic with only 6000+ miles on it.  It had some front damage, and had the l.f. headlight , fender, and the hood replaced.  Looks like it was never damaged.  BUT the guy who owns it now bought it from the insurance co. and now it has a salvage title.  What I am trying to figure out is how much should be deducted from the value for that???  Anybody have an educated opinion?  

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 01/18/12 01:53 PM

Hi Mowman - welcome to the forum.  I had a similar dilemma and NADA Guide(a competitor of Kelley Blue Book) which is utilized by the financial industry as a vehicle pricing guide, suggests anywhere from 10-40% of the value is lost as a result of being a salvage title.  
In Calif., a lender won't lend against a salvage title due to the fact that insurance companies won't issue comprehensive or collision insurance to a salvage vehicle and all lenders require those coverages for a loan.  

mowman
New User
Posted: 01/19/12 09:35 AM

Yes, that is kinda what I figured, but how do you determine whether it is 10% 0r 40%.  I mean on a $20000 car (nada value) the difference between 10 and 40 % is a lot.    Is it if you can prove that the damage was minor it would be toward the lower side?  Insurance doesn't bother me, as I just put liability on it anyway.  The other thing to take into consideration is that ALL factory warranty is gone according to my local ford dealer.  

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 01/19/12 01:12 PM

I wasn't aware Ford would void the warranty but it makes sense.  As far as 10-40%, there's no solid rule i can find. I would try to negotiate more towards the 40 end as the result of the salvage is going to cost you more (e.g. no factory warranty).  

Bill T.
Enthusiast
Posted: 01/19/12 02:16 PM

How could a car with minor damage end up with a salvage title?  Insurance companies usually end up with the car if it has been totalled. I would investigate further, perhaps have a body shop look at it.  
Bill

1966 coupe
1995 Cobra R