• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Master Cylinder is losing alot of fluid. (no sign of a leak anywhere)

amazing
New User
Posted: 05/15/12 06:40 AM

I am having an issue with my master cylinder on my 2001 3.8 convt. The master cylinder loses about 3/4 of the fluid each month. I do not have any sign of fluid under the car when I move it after being parked over night. There is no sign of fluid on any caliper, or rotors, or the ABS unit.

Do you fine folks have any suggestions? I have used the search feature on the forum with no luck. Thanks for any help in advance.  

54packman
Enthusiast
Posted: 05/15/12 09:19 AM

Chrck the bottom of the master where it meets the power brake booster for fluid, it has to be going some where, you will drop some with the disk brakes as the pads are used up,, but should not be that much, would be checking all the lines from wheels right to the master, including all the flex lines  

amazing
New User
Posted: 05/15/12 10:35 AM

ok, cool man. Thank you. I thought there may have been a common problem with the car that I didnt know. I will keep everyone updated  

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 05/15/12 12:30 PM

Icon Quoteamazing:
ok, cool man. Thank you. I thought there may have been a common problem with the car that I didnt know. I will keep everyone updated

You may need to remove the MC from the booster to check for leakage (that's a real common leak point) and it should be perfectly dry-any sign of fluid on the inside of the booster hole means the MC is leaking.  

cushman350
Enthusiast
Posted: 05/15/12 04:36 PM

I've seen non power brakes m/c leak in the floor board where the rear of the unit comes through the firewall and be soaked up by carpet and underlayment.  

amazing
New User
Posted: 05/16/12 06:01 AM

cool I will check that also cush. Thanks