• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

65 fastback quartertrim panel

New User
Posts: 7
Joined: 08/08
Posted: 06/25/12 09:49 AM

I can't find what I need to fasten the bottom of my 1/4 trim panels to. I have replaced floor pans and discarded the used parts
years ago.
Along the bottom of these original 1/4 trim panels are three recessed mounting holes. The rear hole mates to a welded in bracket
mounted on the wheel well . The front two I have no idea except to weld angle to the floor. I've looked at hardware kits online
from the popular vendors for these panels but still can't tell what I need to do.
Any advice from someone whose been there will be greatly appreciated.  

Post Reply
Posts: 269
Joined: 08/11
Posted: 06/26/12 06:40 AM

Yes, there is a strip of metal with two holes and speed nut clips attached that is spot welded to the floor in the fastback. This is supposed to be transferred to the new floor. You'll have to fabricate a piece of metal and weld it to the floor right behind the bottom edge of the trim panel, drill the holes out for the panel attachment holes, and then add the j-nuts/speed nuts to the metal strip.

I'm sure if you do a web image search for Mustang fastback floor pans you'll find an image of the area in question...

Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

Post Reply
New User
Posts: 7
Joined: 08/08
Posted: 06/26/12 08:12 AM

Two steps forward, one step back.
Thanks for setting me straight.

Post Reply