• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Engine detailing

mowman
New User
Posted: 09/01/12 05:44 AM

I don't know if this the right place to ask this, but I am gonna try.  If I need to be in another place just tell me!  My question is that I have read somewhere that you should NEVER use any products that contain silicone to detail in the engine compartment as it will ruin some sensor that even gets a smell of it.  Is that true, and if so, what is the recommended way to detail all the black plastic stuff on the modern engines ?? I have a 2005  

mowman
New User
Posted: 09/01/12 05:54 AM

Sorry I goofed and posted this twice!  

waynep71222
Enthusiast
Posted: 09/01/12 07:55 AM

silicone.. will damage the oxygen sensors...   the oxygen sensors are exposed to the exhaust stream inside the exhaust pipe..   but there is a tiny vent on the outside... that can also be contaminated... those are well over 100 bucks each .. if you ruin them..

i really hate to look at engines that have been detailed...  they look good on the car lot... but .. some of the products to make the hoses nice and shiny.. MELT some of the rubber hoses  eventually..  

the  clear paint to make them glossy.. turns to a light brown color and looks terrible a week after starting to drive the car,,

when the clear gets on the engine parts.. its almost impossible to get it off.. to return things like the various aluminum parts to the proper aluminum cover..  

mowman
New User
Posted: 09/01/12 01:29 PM

OK, so no silicone allowed.  So I guess I should just use cleaners, not shiners. I have used Mothers brand "back to black" on the black plastic on the outside of the car, and it works great.  It doesn't mention silicone on the bottle, do you think it would be ok for the black plastic on the engine?  How about Ice brand spray polish, it says no silicone so should be ok right?