• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Header fit and selection

Sossong
New User
Posted: 10/08/12 11:15 AM

I know there's someone out there with the same experience I've had with finding the best headers to replace the old exhaust manifold on a 69 Mach 1 with a 351W. Any information and help will be appreciated!

I bought a set of ceramic coated Hooker headers after Summit said they would fit. I found that I couldn't install them in the car without disconnecting the transmission mount because I couldn't get the back bolt started on the driver's side. Then I was told by a "Mustang Buddy" that I might need to put a slight bend in them to get the clearance I needed so I took a BFH and "adjusted" the clearance a little. They still rubbed against things under the car so I called the "Hooker Hotline" (That was after I talked dirty to them!) to see what they recommend. They asked a hundred questions until they could surmise that it's not their fault. In my case, I was told that I had poly urethane motor mounts and that was the reason they still rubbed. After I swapped the motor mounts back to some OEM mounts, I tried to install them again but only to be further disappointed with the fit because now they fit worse.

The bottom line is that I now have a useless set of headers that won't fit and I can't return them because one side has a couple of dents in them.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what brand name, stlye (i.e. long tube, shorty's, mid-length, ?) of headers that will fit my car without having to "modify" anything in order to get them to fit?  

Sossong
New User
Posted: 10/09/12 10:59 AM

Short and Sweet! What headers fit a 69 Mach 1 without beating on the headers?