• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Door rod retainners

wlcornelius54
User
Posted: 10/09/12 07:22 AM

I had to buy a new door for my 65 coupe an upon removing all of the rods inside of the door I found all of the rod retainers to the locking mech,door handle an the door lock are beyound useing again the metal clips that has the hard bushing incert are toast an falling apartI can't find no were,any ideas. Please help. Guntersville,al.  

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 10/09/12 01:33 PM

I bough a bunch of inner door hardware from NPD so I think you'll find what you need there. Some of that stuff has to be purchased as part of a bigger unit (like entire latches).  

MustangMan
Posted: 10/10/12 08:02 AM

Yup, NPD sells the lock rods as well as the retainers. You can even use the newer all plastic retainer if you are in a pinch (I get those locally at the parts store in emergencies)...

HTH...
Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

54packman
Enthusiast
Posted: 10/10/12 08:12 AM

i have see hardware supplyers that have the plastic bushings to fit inside the levers, as well as the steel retainers, remember the retainers have a left and a right hand,, other option it go to a u pick scrap yard, and get some there, the newer style has the bushing and clip as one piece , which will also work, you will find that type of clip used on almost every make out there  

54packman
Enthusiast
Posted: 10/10/12 08:44 AM

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Clips_and_Fasteners_Misc_Door_Handle_Throttle_Rod_s/62.htm

Check out this site, they have the plastic one piece rod retainers  

pills28
New User
Posted: 12/26/12 07:50 PM

Just a few hints. I am presently working on a 65 coupe. To be sure you have the correct hardware, you will need the retainer clips and a new pawl bushing. Shipping costs more than the parts. Mustangsplus.com or Mustangs unlimited both have the parts in stock.There are two configurations of the lock clip, one all plastic and one with a metal Jesus clip. I suggest getting both configs although the metal cip seems to be the preferred part.Pretty easy to access. Just get a gooseneck work light and look from the front of the door at an angle. The lock is very easy to see and to work on if you remember to open the window. To get the old pawl out, just grip and rip it.A suggestion to make it easy. Put the new bushing on the rod, set the clip and press it into the new pawl after you install it. You can pull the rod toward the front of the door to make it easier to get to.Saves having to fish around inside the door. If you set up at the right angle, everything is easy to see and work on.
Good luck  

pills46
New User
Posted: 12/29/12 08:42 PM

For all you new door guys out there. I found that the drawing regarding the pawl bushing in the Ford manual shows the large end toward the inside of the door. That's backward!. The bushing goes in from the doorjamb side and is retained by the steel washer over the pointed end. This is the only linkage rod in the door that doesn't use a clip or insert. The link just pushes into the pawl and is retained by the notch in the slot.If you are working on the other linkages in the door or just about any linkage on the vehicle, the Jesus clips are used.