• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

65 6cyl timing

elgordito55
New User
Posted: 10/14/12 10:08 PM

A while back I removed the distributor on my 65 6cyl to replace the O ring and now the timing is way off the scale. The timing notch on the harmonic balancer when viewed with the timing light lies to the far left of the scale, so the only way I can time the engine is by rotating the distributor counterclowise but the advance is too much and the engine stalls. This leads me to think that I need to reposition the distributor, but do I pull it out completely and in which direction do I need to rotate it? What would be the best approach to correct the timing in this situation?
Thanks
jesus  

54packman
Enthusiast
Posted: 10/15/12 08:56 AM

Did you disconnect, and plug the vaccuum line going to the distributer when doing the timing, operate the engine below 550 rpm so the mechanical advance does not kick in, this will set the base timing, if you find you cannot rotate the distributer far enought, remove the cap, and place a mark on distributer base, that lines up to the rotor, remove the distributer, and rotate it in what ever direction you need to, keeping the rotor lined up to the same spot on the housing, and then try re timing again.  

elgordito55
New User
Posted: 10/15/12 04:50 PM

yes the vacuum was disconnected and plugged up--I don't have a problem with the distributor rotation I can go far enough either way, but shouldn't I also rotate the rotor slightly too because the timing mark is way off.
Thanks  

54packman
Enthusiast
Posted: 10/15/12 06:54 PM

no , by rotating the distributer you should be able to get the timing marks to line up where you want them too, i find marking the balancer, and the pointer with nail polish sometimes helps seeing the marks better, rotating the distributer one direction will  move the marks closer together, other will move them away. It really has no bearing as to how the distributer is dropped in, as long as the #1 cylinder is on top dead center of the compression stroke, and the #1 spark plug wire is connected to the tower that the rotor is pointing to, then the rest of the wires follow in the firing order of the engine.around the cap in the direction the rotor rotates.  

elgordito55
New User
Posted: 10/15/12 09:29 PM

thanks for the help and this somehow clarifies my doubts--
Jesus