• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

67 driver's door lock

jdowen2
New User
Posted: 10/25/12 10:06 PM

I bought a 67 coupe that was a father/son project. The driver's door won't close and latch unless I depress button (lock) on top of door. Something must be out of whack. I can only open from outside by reaching inside and operating door handle as if to open. I hear an unlatching sound then I can depress outer door handle button and door opens.  

MustangMan
Posted: 10/26/12 07:17 AM

It sounds to me like the door latch needs to be lubricated and/or one of the lock rods is bent/out of adjustment. It's a fairly simple setup. Pull the door panel and latch and unlatch the system while watching the rods and linkages. You'll see how it works and possibly spot something sticking or out of adjustment.

FYI, if you don't know, early Mustangs you also can't push the lock button down and close the door. It will unlock as it latches. It is to prevent locking your keys in your car. You need to shut the door while holding the thumb button in, or just close the door and then turn the door tumbler with your key to lock it.

HTH...
Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

cushman350
Enthusiast
Posted: 10/26/12 07:23 AM

Like the MustangMan said, you just need to get in there, inspect for the obvious, study for the not so obvious. See what works at the latch without the rods connected, reaching inside to operate the latch from inside the door to isolate problems of rod travel or actual latch malfunction. This goes for all door opening components. Looseness of rods or being bent will effect opening. Maybe an easy fix or new parts, you just have to get your hands and brain in that door.  

waynep71222
Enthusiast
Posted: 10/26/12 08:10 AM

like everybody said... something is stuck..

but i am going to narrow it down to the outer door handle button linkage..

top center of the image is the 22874 .  that is pushed and swings when you press the button in the handle.. that swinging motion lifts the rod 22152.  this opens the door from the outside.

i would bet that the 2 screws that hold this assembly to the inside of the door handle have come loose...  or the rod has fallen off and gotten jammed by the window and bent..

its also possible that the latch has failed internally.. or needs serious lubing..

Mustang 67 70 Door Latch Locks

68 Mustang Door Latch View  

jdowen2
New User
Posted: 10/26/12 11:59 AM

The good news is that everything is new. The bad news is I adjusted the threaded latch actuating rod up and down to no avail. Now the door is stuck closed. I am having a hard time reaching in to touch anything. Top it off with recent carpal tunnel surgery and I have little strength in my right hand. Also noticed that the passenger door handle pulls up to open while driver's side pushes down.  

cushman350
Enthusiast
Posted: 10/26/12 02:44 PM

Also noticed that the passenger door handle pulls up to open while driver's side pushes down.  

Pushing down on the driver's side is evidence something is not kosker. Maybe you got two passenger side door actuators. I dont really think one will even mount on the wrong side but I'm not sure. Anybody?  

waynep71222
Enthusiast
Posted: 10/26/12 08:32 PM

oops... pushing down is wrong.....

1...  can you release the bolts holding the inner handle.. to free up the rod...

see if the door opens easily now..

2... does the LOCK rod move up and down the same amount as the other door????

3.   does the outer push button on the other side have the same amount of slack before the lever is depressed..???

don't forget.. the images above are LARGER than you can see.. it extends off to the right..

one thing... and i may have to walk out to my 70 ranchero and find out..

usually if one of the opening rods is engaging the latch.. the latch cannot be Unlocked.. if it cannot be unlocked.. the door won't open..  

jdowen2
New User
Posted: 10/26/12 11:33 PM

I believe the previous owner installed a passenger side control on the driver's door. I'll order a new one to be sure.  

jdowen2
New User
Posted: 11/14/12 10:00 PM

My suspicions were confirmed.

I ordered new LH door control and that fixed the problem. Thanks!  

MustangMan
Posted: 11/15/12 12:25 PM

Congrats on getting it fixed and thanks for replying to the thread with your confirmation. Onward and upward as they say!

Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto