• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

67 factory style exhaust

jdowen2
New User
Posted: 10/25/12 10:19 PM

My 67 coupe has a 2 1/2" dual exhaust with Flowmaster style mufflers, Hooker headers with an H pipe. Various size tubing was used and I would not consider it a professional installation. I was wondering if anyone has used a factory style dual exhaust with the transverse muffler with their headers?  

MustangMan
Posted: 10/26/12 07:24 AM

Most of the builds/cars I've looked at that use a long-tube style header like the Hooker brand on your car build the exhaust system as a standard dual setup with two mufflers (and possibly resonators at the rear). I'm not sure you could package a decent performance muffler in a transverse setup on these cars. I know the later third-gen F-body did, but that was due to the floor pan configuration (the cars had single exhaust into a transverse and then dual outlets).

If I may ask, why the consideration of a transverse muffler?

Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

waynep71222
Enthusiast
Posted: 10/26/12 08:30 AM

there are lots of ways to get creative with exhaust... and i thought about the gen 3 transverse muffler also...

when i took a look over at summit...  there are 20 different 67 mustang exhaust system kits configurations...

from a bone stock concourse replacement..  to race pipe set without any mufflers at all.. just an x section and pipes out the back...  and a whole bunch of variations in between.

i have had a few people i know.. install 92 or 93 caddy fleetwood 5.7 mufflers..  as they are 2 1/2 inch in and out..  designed to flow a 350 chevy in single applications and the 93 versions are stainless.. but these were people who wanted less noise output..   i don't have any current muffler catalogs.. but i will take a look around tonight... see if there is any transverse mufflers that might fit in the fairly narrow area behind the rear end.. be sure to measure the area with the suspension at ride height... and perhaps with a friend in the trunk and 2 in the back seat...  to duplicate the bottoming out effect..  

jdowen2
New User
Posted: 10/26/12 10:05 AM

Car is too loud for my taste. Maybe I could tone it down with Dynomax mufflers.