• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Windshield and Rear window install / Seal

22fast.ak
User
Posted: 10/20/12 12:10 PM

Hi guy's.  I'm re doing my '66 coupe for paint.  I'm at the point of striping the old paint and cleaning up.  I got the front and rear window molding off and see that the channel where the clips go over the studs that hold the molding in is filled with black "gunk" as a sealer  Confused .  This makes it next to impossible to get the clips over the studs and get the molding to install correctly.  My question is (I suspect someone has used this stuff to prevent any leaks)didn't Ford just install the window without any sealer in the "trough" and use a sealer on the gasket to the window?  I can't see how to get the clips to work with sealer in there!  What is correct way to seal the window, and what sealer was used it there?  Thanks in advance,  Mel  

waynep71222
Enthusiast
Posted: 10/21/12 12:22 PM

there are a few articles spread out in the 4 mustang magazines on this site on window and chrome trim installation...

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_1204_installing_windshields_and_backlights/

replacement T screws, T rivets, T weld in buttons are available if you need to replace any...

the weld in type usually work with a stud welder...

i usually keep an image on my photobucket page.. but it keeps vanishing..??????  

MustangMan
Posted: 10/22/12 07:04 AM

Ford used a non-hardening sealer and you can get the modern 3M version of it from most Mustang vendors (cartridge based, so you'll need a caulk gun).

According to the shop manual sealer was applied between the gasket and glass AND the gasket and body (both grooves basically).

It's how it is installed is usually what differs. Some people put sealer in the gasket and then push it onto the glass, others put the gasket on dry, install it, and the pump the sealer into the gasket with a fine tip.

Either way it's messy! It is common practice to use additional sealer between the gasket and body opening to prevent leaks. Once you get your glass and gasket out you can clean away the old sealer.

Once your car is painted and the new gaskets/glass installed I would still recommend putting sealer between the gasket and body. Install your molding clips and then pop the moldings on while the sealer is still really soft and it'll wipe up with easily.

HTH...
Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

22fast.ak
User
Posted: 10/22/12 08:58 PM

Thanks Wayne.  I had the article but wasn't clear about how in the H... all of that black goo got all over the clips!  Mark . . . MANY thanks that is what I was looking for.  I know that if you fill the trough with black *** there is no way to get the molding on as the clips are full of stuff.  

As this is a garage queen (it never sees rain) I think I'll seal the window in the gasket, then the gasket to the lip and see if I can get away with it that way.  I can always got back and fill in later if required.  I just hate to make the moulding any harder to install then is necessary.  I'm going with House of Kolor Kandy (three coat) AND a coat of metal flake, for a total of 4.  I sure don't want to chip the paint putting the moulding on!  Again thanks guys!  Mel  

MustangMan
Posted: 10/23/12 07:34 AM

A strip of painter's tape at the edge when installing the moldings really helps too!

Lots of patience and good moldings help make it a bit easier too...

Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

22fast.ak
User
Posted: 10/30/12 12:59 AM

Well I took the rear window out and found that not only was there lots of semi-hard black stuff but there was some HARD white stuff around most of the clips Mad !  Took me 3 hours to dig all of the crap out.  Makes you wonder what some folks are thinking!  All will be well now  Laugh .  Thanks for all the help  Grin !  Mel  

New User
Posted: 11/22/12 05:09 AM

Hey mel ..i just joined the chat .first time here..im a windscreen fitter..have you installed your windows yet.?  

22fast.ak
User
Posted: 11/23/12 01:43 AM

Welcome!!!!  Nope, I sent the rear "light" (window) out for tinting.  I should get it back in the next couple of days.  I cleaned the trough and pins scuffed it and painted it with epoxy primer.  Looks nice and clean now!  Mel  

New User
Posted: 11/30/12 01:16 AM

ok then mel .when your ready to instal give me notice and i will talk you through it..and what you realy want to use is a non skinning butal mastic in ( black )..and kerosene to clean up mess .this will not effect any paint work..or trims ..very easy process..i have done hundreds of them. back and fronts