• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

1967 Headlight Parking Light Issues

smsully350
New User
Posted: 11/02/12 01:09 PM

I started off with a passenger side headlight that would only come on dim, while the driver side headlight worked fine.  Didn't matter low beam or high beam.  In addition, both front parking lights would be dim when the headlight switch was in the 2nd detent, but they would work fine (as did the turn signals) when the headlight switch was in the first detent.  After chasing ground wires per previous forum posts, if fixed the issue by attaching a new ground wire to the passenger side parking light housing, the headlights now work perfectly.  However, the parking lights only come on when the headlight switch is pulled out to the first detent, they both go completely out when i pull the switch out to the 2nd detent.  The turn signals work normally no matter what position the headlight switch is in.  I have tried a new headlight switch, but the issue still persists.  

54packman
Enthusiast
Posted: 11/02/12 06:12 PM

A lot of the older cars are wired like that , the parking lights go out on the front when the headlights are on. to get them on all the time you would have to hook that front parking light wire to the rear parking light feed wire at the switch. My Packards are wired the same as yours are now..  

waynep71222
Enthusiast
Posted: 11/02/12 06:35 PM

yes.. the front running lights ONLY come on in the first detent ..
the tail lights come on in both detents..
the headlights only come in in the second.. but are divided with the dimmer switch.
the turn signals and hazards are on a completely different circuit than the parking and tail lights.. but they all , headlights, turn, stop, running, tail lights use the ground to supply electrons..

please Print this test....  its a jpg image like a photo..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VOLTAGE Drop Testing

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  

smsully350
New User
Posted: 11/03/12 05:35 PM

Thanks Packman - appreciate your help.  I just went and verified your reply with an ohmeter and the headlight switch.  Never noticed this 'feature' before, but i don't spend much time in front of my car with the headlights on!  Thanks again!

steve  

smsully350
New User
Posted: 11/03/12 05:39 PM

Thanks for the confirmation,  i also printed out your test, and now have it in my repair manual.

steve