Ad Radar
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

instrument cluster wiring

waynep71222
Enthusiast
Posted: 09/17/12 05:05 PM

i have a HUGE question....

my wiring diagrams do not show exact pin outs of the 2 possible cluster options...

sossong... if you can digitally draw the wire colors on the image for each.. then compare them..

or check the messages to the left of where you log out at .. i will post my email.. if you could send a decent image of both.. i will do the drawing...

its very possible that the cluster requires slightly different wiring locations in the connector..

there could also be an issue of improper resistance at the motor end of the harness...

could be an issue because there are differences between alt light wiring and amp meter gauge cars  

waynep71222
Enthusiast
Posted: 09/21/12 12:44 PM

just talked to the car owner..    pictures that i will edit and share them are coming..

he compared the new and the original harness and the wire colors plug into different positions in the cluster connector...

as entertainment there was just a flyby over my back yard..

Img 120921121044 Zpseebdfa8e
Img 120921120653 Zps3b6984fd

stay tuned..

more info... got some pictures.. did some drawings...

this is the original black connector from his factory harness without a tach...

Mustang Clustter Original Black Connector Zpsf0bf400b

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

this is the replacement harness and how the colors are hooked... this is NOT verified yet as to what goes to which circuit....

Mustang Cluster New White Connector Zps61cbe1b0

i am awaiting pictures or scans of the printed circuit diagram so i can trace the circuits out ... to aid in locating which wires are supposed to go where... something is way wrong with what i have found somehow..

there is a significant difference in the wiring between the NON TACH dash board and the TACH dashboard....

the harness is also different...

check the manual with the harness...

www.painlesswiring.com/Manuals/20122.pdf  

Sossong
New User
Posted: 09/24/12 03:09 PM

Thanks to waynep for asking one key question, "Do you still have the old wire harness?" when he offered to help me out. I compared the new harness and the old and thanks to WayneP for creating the above reference for pin-out locations in what I found. After searching the internet and finding a Painlesswiring.com manual, page 28 has a connector with tach and a connector without a tach illustration, much like waynep's illustration. The bottom line is that I had bought, without knowing any better at that time(?), a wire harness for a tach. I completely had to re-pin the connector for my non-tach car. Mustang Registry has instructions for converting a non-tach harness to a tach harness but not the other way around. The non-tach cars have a red wire and a yellow wire to complete the electrical circuit under the hood and up to the firewall fuse block. Luckily for me, those red and yellow wires were still in the under-the-hood harness leading up to the fuse block at the fire wall. That made things much easier since I realized all of my work was inside at the firewall going to the instrument panel. I had to (as they say in military aviation) "cannibalize" the required yellow and red wires from the old harness to use as required.

I used a terminal extractor to remove the pins from both connectors at the old fuse block and the instrument connector so I didn't have to cut and splice anything and I could keep the original OEM colors too. I used a new sharp razor to lightly cut and remove the old wire wrap and exposed nice fresh wires. Granted the wire is over 40 years old but it was flexible and still in good shape and I was willing to take that chance instead of worrying about cutting and splicing and messing up OEM connectors on those wires.

After identifying the necessary holes for the correct color wire to go into, I cleaned up the little "barb" on the individual wire terminal, rebent it just a small bit, and pushed it up into the hole where it easily stuck. Then I used electrical tape to re-tape the two wires on the exterior of the harness leading to the instrument connector. You can't tell there was even a repair made. More importantly, everything works as advertised.

As soon as I can figure out how to post photos here, I'll send some photos if anyone wants to take a look.

R,
P.  

cushman350
Enthusiast
Posted: 09/25/12 02:34 PM

[As soon as I can figure out how to post photos here, I'll send some photos if anyone wants to take a look.

R,
P.]

Photos must be uploaded to Flickr, Photobucket, etc. so they will have an address on the net. Then you copy and paste that to the Insert Image function on your post.
8024769223 F7f3afb6b9  

MustangMan
Posted: 09/28/12 06:35 AM

This is some great detective work guys, all around, really! Glad we could put some heads together on this one. Wayne, another gold star sir! LOL

Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

tiger351w
New User
Posted: 08/20/13 12:27 AM

hey guys been reading the post.  I need a little help identifying some wires in my cluster plug.  I am installing dakota digital dash gauges.

what is the color of the wire for the gas gauge and park brake light?

1969 mach 1
cluster with gauges (not tach)

brake light Red/yellow maybe?

gas gauge?  

Rob

1969 Mach 1
1967 Fastback
1964 & 1965 Sunbeam Tiger
1965 Sunbeam Alpine (Bridgeported 13B)
1960 Hillman Husky
1953 Henry J

waynep712222
User
Posted: 08/20/13 12:48 AM

looks like you are right with the RED / yellow stripe for the parking brake warning light..  you can test it by seeing if the wire shorts to ground when you use your digital volt meter in BEEP mode...  and you depress your brake pedal..

i can go thru some other wiring diagrams tomorrow...  i will have to upload a new image.. somehow the resolution got reduced...

as for the gas gauge... hmm..  probably the same color wire as the gauge at the back..of the car..  

tiger351w
New User
Posted: 08/20/13 07:51 AM

I going to test both wires today.  I spent a really long time last night going through wiring diagrams and found the fuel gauge on diagram (2-E8) and it has a color code of 29. It traces to pin location 5, however nowhere can I find color code 29 in any of legends.  Some of the online cluster plug diagrams (including from Painless) indicate it might be yellow/white.  I need to go test my theory today.  

Rob

1969 Mach 1
1967 Fastback
1960 Hillman Husky
1953 Henry J

waynep712222
User
Posted: 08/20/13 08:17 AM

in the 70 mustang diagram.. yellow and white goes from the fuel sending unit to the cluster..

there is a second wire on the sending unit on the 70 mustang diagram.. its green and white and goes to the low fuel level relay...

i looked at various other 69 ford wiring diagrams.. the yellow and white wire always goes to the gas gauge...

some of the other models i looked at were equipped with a low fuel level relay ..

i did some editing..

Mustang Clustter Original Black Connector Zpsf0bf400b  

tiger351w
New User
Posted: 08/20/13 07:55 PM

after several hours of searching the wiring diagrams, and then testing the plug i found the wires I needed.

Yellow / white  = fuel

green / white = left turn

blue / white = right turn

red / yellow = brake (ground)

violet  = brake powered

green black = high beam

those are what I needed for the Dakota digital setup  

Rob

1969 Mach 1
1967 Fastback