• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Tail light wiring

Bigtimecars
New User
Posted: 11/25/12 05:34 PM

I have an 1964 1/2 mustang. I just purchase and installed a new wiring harness for the tail lights. I had all lights working when I replaced the harness...now I can only get the blinkers to work...no parking lights or brake lights...I rechecked every wire and still nothing....any suggestions?  

waynep71222
Enthusiast
Posted: 11/25/12 07:26 PM

the stop lights and the tail lights both get power from one of the terminals of the headlight switch.

the turn signals get powered off the STUD on the back of the ignition switch...

lets look at wire colors...

power for the headlight switch is a black and orange wire..  feeds the brake light and horn button circuits so does your horn work????

for the brake light switch..   an Green and red striped wire from the rear corner terminal to the brake light switch...   the green and red striped wire shares the headlight switch terminal with a yellow wire to the turn signal switch horn circuit

from the brake light switch is a GREEN wire to the turn signal switch connector..

the tail light wiring from the headlight switch is black.. seems to have a bullet connector nearby..

i am looking at a 66 wiring diagram.. i hope thats close enough..

so ,,, if you have no TAIL LIGHT and NO BRAKE lights...  check for power at the black and orange wire to the headlight switch...

and see if you get power out on the green and red wire to the brake light switch...

and when you have the headlight switch turned on.. on the black wire to the tail lights..