• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

65 Mustang squeal when clutch pedal is pressed in

drummerdude253
New User
Posted: 12/13/12 09:50 PM

I have a 65 mustang with a 331 stroker and a 4 speed toploader transmission. I just put in a new centerforce dual friction clutch kit with pressure plate and self aligning throwout bearing. I also put in a muscle z bar kit from Barillaro Speed Emporium. When I press the clutch pedal in a hear a squealing noise from what sounds like the throwout bearing... I'm thinking I forgot to lube something or my linkage isn't adjusted right... Does anyone else have a possible reason for this noise? Thanks for the help!!  

waynep71222
Enthusiast
Posted: 12/13/12 10:53 PM

have you contacted centerforce tech support yet???

could it actually be the grinding marks on the face of the flywheel.. the separator plate and the clutch cover pressure place face...

where the ground surface causes a little extra noise as the frictions slip lightly against the friction material faces..   sort of a swishing noise when the pedal is depressed..  because of the dual discs.. it could create more noise..

who put the oil in the transmission...

who put in the pilot bearing or bushing in the back of the crank...  if bushing .. who lightly lubed it.. if a bearing.. did anybody test it to see that the inner race still turns smoothly... i have seen people drive them in with the inner race and just destroy them...

is that throw out bearing sliding on the input bearing retainer sleeve?? if so.. who applied proper TO bearing grease to the inside of that..  there is a groove on the inside of the sliding part of the Throw out bearing..

man.. GM used to have a synthetic T O bearing slide grease.. that was also used for slip yokes in the driveshaft..  used to have is the optimal word..  that was great stuff.  

drummerdude253
New User
Posted: 12/13/12 11:39 PM

ill try and contact centerforce tomorrow.
I put in the oil for the tranny as well as installed the pilot bushing. I lubed it and everything. Im thinking I may have forgotten to lube the inner part of the throwout bearing? or do we even put grease there at all?  

drummerdude253
New User
Posted: 12/14/12 12:06 AM

I also forgot to mention that the flywheel is brand new so there are no score marks on it.  

MustangMan
Posted: 12/14/12 08:18 AM

When does the squealing start? Just as you take up the slack in the pedal (the TO bearing just touching the pressure plate springs) or when the pedal is all the way to the floor (full clutch release)?

I ask, because if it doesn't make the noise until full extension/disconnection of the clutch, you might have the linkage too tight and going "over center" with the clutch and the pressure plate springs could be touching the back face of the clutch friction disc.

Just a thought, though I've only seen in a couple of times, it was always on older mechanical Z-bar clutch setups.

HTH...
Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 12/17/12 02:17 PM

I've experienced as Mark has. A squeal is generally a telltale sign of a TO BRG issue.  So other things for you to look at is how much free play do you have with the pedal released - you need some or you'll wear that new TO BRG out real quick. and as Mark as stated have you got the travel setup correctly so you're not going over center  

drummerdude253
New User
Posted: 12/17/12 09:10 PM

I tried letting the car roll by putting it in first and checking where the clutch was grabbing. I noticed that the clutch was grabbing almost once the pedal was all the way out. The noise happens as soon as I begin to depress the clutch pedal. Another thought I had was that since it is a centerforce clutch kit, I'm thinking one of the centrifugal weights didn't retract all the way and that's rubbing on the TO bearing... Im just trying to find a way to fix it without pulling the trans if you know what I mean. I'll start with some more clutch pedal adjustments. There is supposed to be about 1" of free play correct?  

cushman350
Enthusiast
Posted: 12/18/12 02:45 AM

I don't have much hope of being able to adjust out a squeal. Something is not right. Dry bearing, locked up T.O. bearing, etc. Clutch fingers sliding on the wrong size T.O. bearing. I bet you are back up under removing ur trans before it's over. Since the engaging is almost all the way out, you maybe indeed pushing the throwout bearing too far into the fingers of the clutch. I like my clutch engaging 2-3 inches off the floor.  

waynep71222
Enthusiast
Posted: 12/18/12 08:51 AM

say...

did a copy of this come in your clutch kit????

http://media.centerforce.com/DiagGuide/DiagnosticGuide04DL.pdf

might help

do you happen to have a digital camcorder... or a cell that takes decent movies. perhaps you can post some videos to you tube of the noises..