• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

6 cyl carburetor

elgordito55
New User
Posted: 09/29/12 09:24 PM

I am having difficulty getting my 6 cyl/200 cid carburetor to work smoothly. I did some linkage adjustments according to the tune up kit instructions but I suspect either the choke and throttle adjustments may not be right and the engine has a hard time starting up from cold. Afterwards, the engine runs smoothly and once it warms up.
Are there any tips on how to fine tune these carburators? Sometimes tips from old pros work bettter then a sheet of instructions. Does the choke plate opening has to be extremely small, etc.
thanks
J  

54packman
Enthusiast
Posted: 09/30/12 09:07 AM

when the engine is cold, if you press the gas pedal to the floor, does the choke plate close? you may not have the choke plate hooked up right to the heater asmb. try loosening the 3 screws on the heater and rotating it to get the choke plate to close with a cold engine.  

elgordito55
New User
Posted: 09/30/12 05:56 PM

the choke plate closes but I am not too sure if the gap is sufficient/insufficient-what I would like to know is how tiny must the gap be between the choke plate and carb horn wall-  

mowman
New User
Posted: 10/18/12 12:44 PM

If the choke plate is closed completely, which it should be for cold start, there should be no gap.  If the throttle is pushed to the floor, it should open some. That is the unloader spec. in the kit instructions.  Then the choke should come open part way when the engine starts, and slowly come open all the way as the engine gets warmer.