• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

302 Engine build

MudMarine6569
New User
Posted: 12/17/12 09:30 AM

I have a Mexican 302 original bare block, have the opportunity to build it up, misc parts include edlebrock F4b intake, 1969 set of 351 Windsor heads, Holley-Lemans 3259 carb.  What do I need to do to make this as close to a Boss 302 as possible???  What can be done to the heads, etc.  The engine will go in a 65 Fastback w/Borg-warner t-10 4 speed, 3:50 shelby 9 inch rearend.  I want to keep the engine close as possible for the era, but also want to bump up the HP as much as possible with after market internals.  Any suggestions????

Thanks
MudMarine6569  

waynep71222
Enthusiast
Posted: 12/17/12 05:38 PM

to start out..   you have a windsor motor...

the boss 302 is more a cleveland motor..

you can used 351C 2 bbl heads on a 302 block with mods to the coolant passages through the head gaskets and decks..  and a special intake to connect everything..

there are DOZENS of various small block ford builds here in the 40 or so car and truck magazines on this site..

clock the TECH link above left..

or type in 302 or SBF in the search window..  even windsor ..

there are hundreds well.. actually THOUSANDS of different ways to build a small block windsor..

i don't really think that a replica Boss 302 will fit between the shock towers.. there are ways to widen them or remove them and change the front suspension...