• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

z bar problem

doryman
New User
Posted: 12/10/12 03:48 PM

hi guys, i have a 1970 mustang coupe with a 302, not the boss.it has a 4 speed toploader. problem is the after market z bar i got from mustangs unlimited doesn't work. the top is not over far enough to the left and the bottom is not far enough over to the right. i had to bend the clutch rod on top into a c shape to get around the power brake booster. and the adjustment rod at the bottom is in a bind. not good.the z bar that i took out was heated and re-bent so i don't really know what the original shape was. this z bar also caused binding. kevin ,the tech guy ,at mustangs unlimited said i could use a z bar for a 351 w. has anyone ever tried this. id hate to buy another after market zbar. and have it not work. any ideas would be a great help.  

cushman350
Enthusiast
Posted: 12/11/12 07:31 AM

[i had to bend the clutch rod on top into a c shape to get around the power brake booster.]

Would the correct z bar nullify the need to bend the clut. rod? Did it come with a 4 speed or was it added? Zbars can be custom made with an old doner.
And then braced back with small triangular plate steel welded to the pipe and arms. Thought of converting to a cable clutch as a last resort?  

doryman
New User
Posted: 12/11/12 05:21 PM

the 4 speed is the original. i would rather not go with a custom zbar. the 351 zbar from mustangs unlimited only cost $45.00.  

cushman350
Enthusiast
Posted: 12/12/12 03:21 PM

If the 351 zbar lines all rods up, by all means get it.