• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

rear brakes

rdbacs
New User
Posted: 10/13/12 06:54 PM

I recently bought a 65 6cyl that is in great shape. That being said there maintence issue that have gone undone for a long time. The thing that I really want to get first is a complete once over on the brakes. I found a very good over view on this forum but it left me with questions about the rear backing plate. What I saw redid the front brakes off the car. The only way that I can see to do that to the rear would be to remove the rear axle. Is that what would have to be done.  

waynep71222
Enthusiast
Posted: 10/14/12 07:35 AM

the rear axles come out with 4 NUTS removed ...    please.. use care.. as you have to support the weight of the axle as it comes out... wiping it with a rag to stop the oil drip...  the reason to support and center the axle as you are going out and then back in... so you don't tear the lip off the rear axle seal...   they are easily damaged during axle removal and installation..  they are cheep and usually really easy to install...

a TIP about seals... there are 2 sizes that the parts guy might hand you.. one for the small 28 spline axles.. one for the 31 spline axles..  you should not have an issue...  but wait the tip..

once you have the seal in your hand.. stop by a hardware store..  see if they have any washers.. just a fraction smaller than the seal outside diameter..  if they do pick up 2 or 3... pick up a 12 inch bolt to go through them.. and 2 nuts... you will probably need several smaller washers..

you can now trap the big washers with the thinner washers between the 2 nuts on the end of the bolt...   you now have a rear axle seal driver for about 5 or 6 bucks..   be sure that it fits the end of the axle housing.. or you may have to grind the outside of the washers down to reduce the side to get a perfect fit..

more info.. there are 4 or 5 should  read articles if you type the word brake into the search window above right... you will have to look through the pages..

there are 2 or 3 more over at mustangs and fords..

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_0704_drum_brake_installation/photo_12.html

you can get to the rest of the article from this link...

Drum Brake Installation Axle Shaft

i normally pull the axle with my right hand.. the left hand has 3 or 4 paper towels and is wiping the axle as it comes out.

please pay close attention to the wear on the end of the parking brake spreader bar.. on the parking brake lever where the spreader bar lays against it.. and that the oval spring at the front is intact..

this is just to one of them.  

rdbacs
New User
Posted: 10/14/12 05:12 PM

Thanks for the link that seems to answer the questions that I have right now. It has been a long time since I have done any real work on a car.