• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

66 coupe steering

edsel
New User
Posted: 02/16/13 04:22 PM

I'm dropping a 1991 5.0 in my 66 and plan Granada 11" disks with the Shelby drop, new springs and shocks.  The 91 engine has all accessories including a power steering pump.  Looking for a power steering box that will work with the pump. I have a 91 convertible as a donor.  Any input?  

waynep71222
Enthusiast
Posted: 02/16/13 07:31 PM

there are a few power steering suppliers who can take a later power steering pressure hose  .. and mate it to the earlier power steering pressure hose to create a proper power steering pressure hose..

the return line is no problem..

you can also use the 91 5.0 alternator.. i think there is a article in the tech section on what it takes to use that one...

warning.. you should also know that the there is a specific flexplate to adapt the 5.0 to the C4 transmission as you cannot use the early flexplate as its balanced differently...

are you installing the EFI with the 91...  or swapping the intake carb and distributer over... as there is also an unresolved issue of the 5.0 distributer sticks farther into the block than the 302. so the oil pump shaft is really a little on the short side..

i am not trying to talk you out of it..  as its a good swap...  

a friend did that swap in his 67 fairlane..   but we used only the long block... the intake, timing cover and water pump, accessories,, were all transfered over... including the oil pan..

i will have more when you mention what exactly you are planning on swapping...  

edsel
New User
Posted: 02/17/13 10:01 AM

I'm going to use the efi and take everything I need from the donor.  I have a T5 to put behind it.  I know I need to do the oil pan swap.

The 66 is stripped to the bare body and I'm mocking things up before it goes for paint in August.  I'm rewiring the car for the efi and alternator.

The car had manual steering so I'm replacing all of it.

Thanks for the tips.  I know I'll need them.  

waynep71222
Enthusiast
Posted: 02/17/13 01:13 PM

lets start with the pressure hoses...

the L shaped end is for the pump ... this is 34 inches long for 91 5.0 mustang with AC 71834 , the 71835 is slightly longer as its for cars without ac where the ps pump is moved upwards and inwards ..

this is the 66 ps hose..  for V8 applications. the short end again is for the pump... the crimp in the middle of the hose is to adapt the 3/8 hose on the pump end to the 5/16" hose on the valve end..
this 66 V8 version is 40 inches long..  #70613

this is the straight six , 66 version. 70626.  

don't forget that you can bypass all this stuff with a different steering box thats now available ..

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/projectbuild/mump_0402_power_steering_conversion/viewall.html

this is the conversion steering box article

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/mump_1003_how_to_install_integral_power_steering_gear/viewall.html  

waynep71222
Enthusiast
Posted: 02/17/13 01:59 PM

for the alternator conversion you have a few articles...

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/mump_1301_ford_mustang_3g_alternator_upgrade/viewall.html

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/mump_0704_classic_ford_mustang_single_wire_alternator_install/viewall.html

3Ginstallina65

Mustang Starting System5

on the battery ground cables... plan ahead...    the original 66 went from the negative battery to the block...    from the back of the block to the firewall..   and a TINY ground wire from the alternator ground stud to the mounting foot of the voltage regulator...

65 66 Mustang Ground Cables

please.. use the newer style of grounding.. with a full size ground wire from the negative battery post to the body and then to the engine block.. or to the engine block and back to the body.. so you get enough electrons..

please set up the ground wires like is shown on this chevy truck ground drawing...

80S Chevy Truck Battery Cables  

lastly since you say you have the entire car apart.. when it goes back together..please hook up the ground wires to the dash board side of the firewall properly...

66 Mustang Cluster Ground Location  

edsel
New User
Posted: 02/18/13 12:42 PM

Thanks for the links.  Will take me a while to go thru it all.  I'm an electrical engineer and will take your advice about the grounding.  I know I have a long way to go but the more I learn ahead the better.  Thanks again.  

waynep71222
Enthusiast
Posted: 02/18/13 05:34 PM

print and practice this test...   show and teach friends how to use their volt meters like this.. it saves ME HOURS on each car...  i use it on every car coming in.. and every car before i close the hood to verify its fixed before its delivered..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Voltagedroptesting

~~~~~~~~~~