• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Case of the Disappearing Dipstick

Brazil
New User
Posted: 02/20/13 12:50 PM

Changed the transmission fluid and filter in my '66 289 auto Coupe. Warmed it up, filled it to the right level and drove around a while to flow it through the system - shifted perfect, all was well.

Pulled the dipstick out to check the level this morning and there was about two inches of the stick left, the rest had broke off right past the Z bend. I turned the car off and pulled the tube off, assuming the rest of the stick was in it. It wasn't. I probed inside the inlet hole on the transmission with my pinky, a small screwdriver, and then a flexable extension magnet....nothing.

It's now pouring rain and I'm afraid to put it in any gear to get in my garage. Before I go and drop the pan again, is there actually room in the pan for a 2ft. dipstick to completely disappear!?!  

idrivejunk
New User
Posted: 02/20/13 05:57 PM

This sounds like a job for Clouseau! Did you find it yet? I guess it could coil up in the pan but why? It should be OK to pull it into shelter, I think. That is strange.  
idrivejunk

Brazil
New User
Posted: 02/21/13 05:58 AM

HA! Hey Matthew.
I've been looking for the good inspector's number, but Columbo said he would run by this morning.
Wink  

waynep71222
Enthusiast
Posted: 02/21/13 08:14 AM

look on the ground under the car.. or on top of something as when the dip stick is broken.. when you remove the dipstick tube.. without the Zbend there is nothing to hold it in place... so gravity takes effect here... pull the tube.. it slides out when you don't notice it..   it could be sitting on the transmission bell housing.. could be on the exhaust .. or just laying on the ground saying.. u looking for me???

by the way...

transmission operating level... with the engine running.. the fluid level should be just above the transmission pan gasket level...  not more than 1/2 inch above that USUALLY.. get more than that and the fluid kicks up into the spinning components ..

there are part numbers stamped usually lightly on the dipstick itself..

try to get the part number off the dipstick tube also... i might be able to interchange and come up with a proper length.. if you cannot find the end...

chances of the broken end of the dipstick slipping around a 70 degree bend without forcing it..  slim but not impossible..  

Brazil
New User
Posted: 02/21/13 09:34 AM

Hey Wayne, hope all's well.
I think this is just a case of "Brazmentia" kicking in. I removed the tube from the bottom yesterday just so the stick wouldn't slip out and vanish.

When Cil got home from work she reminded me that the reason we haven't drove it in a month was because the dipstick had broke. I just found it laying in CLEAR sight on the workbench wrapped in a paper towel. My memory has become all of 10 minutes long.

John's Mustang Co. is a few miles away, so I'm going to write down a few other items I need and glue the note to my head.  

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 02/22/13 01:39 PM

It's nice to read that someone else (other than myself) that has that occasional brain fart. I had a good chuckle.  LOL

PS don't use super glue.