• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

289 Engine casting numbers

2ltime
New User
Posted: 03/08/13 08:46 AM

I have a 66 289 C code coupe. Trying to find out if it has the original engine in it. Casting numbers on the intake manifold are C 6 O, from my research that means its a fairlane intake as Z would represent a mustang. The heads are stamped 66 as well so the date adds up but i was wondering if its not a Z is there still a chance it has the original engine? The car is a late build April 66 and they had a shortage of 289 engines to my understanding. Wonder if they took engines to supply the demand. Also the engine tag says its a 67 witch im sure is just a tag that was stuck on the engine at some point as the the C6 was cast into the metal and the tag is just a tin tag.
Anyone who could shed some light on this it would be appriciated.
Shane  

54packman
Enthusiast
Posted: 03/08/13 06:04 PM

there is a casting number on the bottom of the block, above the starter, which also has the date code on it, see what that says  

2ltime
New User
Posted: 03/08/13 07:44 PM

Will do thanks, ill let you know what I find  

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 03/11/13 12:38 PM

With the exception of the hi-po engines, for the 289 there is no mustang specific engine castings, heads or Intakes/exhausts.  All used ford corporate engines. The best you can do is look for casting numbers within a few months of build date.