• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

67 must. frt springs question

gezzer
New User
Posted: 04/08/13 11:33 AM

67 small blk car that I just installed a negative wedge chamber kit in.It will lower car one inch. The instructions note that lowering springs are not recommended. I would like to find where I can get stock height springs with 550 or 600lb rating. Will this give me the one inch overall front height drop I'm after or should I just go with progressive rate one inch drop springs. Wheels are 17x7 235/45.
Gezzer  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 04/09/13 05:42 AM

you really need to contact a spring supplier...

there are also a LOT of variables...

can you assemble the front suspension without the springs..  lower it on a floor jack to the ride height you want.. then measure from the spring perch to the inside seat in the shock tower.. so you have an effective installed height of the spring...

it will usually also need a  front end weight  from a truck scale .. individual weights are also nice...

you can place the front of the car on a truck scale.. then the back of the car.. then one front wheel at a time...  this will get you the numbers a spring supplier will need...

there are also various thickness of spring insulators to go on top of the spring to find tune the ride height..

i saw one chart of springs for mustangs.. for the shelby drop you have described... for different ride heights.. i just don't recall right now which spring manufacturer had it..  

this is the one i recall.. but i know there is one with the relocated upper pivot also..

http://www.eatonsprings.com/64-73mustangfront.html  

gezzer
New User
Posted: 04/10/13 08:48 AM

thanks for that
decided to get scott drake progressive springs at stock height which claim to give a decent ride yet stiffen up on hard brake and cornering similar to 600 springs
should have it done in a couple of weeks
any thoughts?
Gezzer  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 04/10/13 10:59 AM

i fine tuned the ride height of my ranchero by doing something that everybody said not to.

i replaced the pressed in bolts in the spring perch... with slightly longer grade 8 bolts...

and used 3/8" ID grade 8 flat washers evenly stacked under the spring perch on top of the control arm..  then another grade 8 flat washer under it and a grade 8 nut..  

this gave me the ability to fine tune the ride height   and yes.. i pulled the shock and used the coil spring compressor from the top to pull it upward so i could pull the bolts upward to slip the washers under the spring perch bar...  i will try to get an photo next time i have the ranchero jacked up..

i personally don't see any issue as the contact area on the upper control arm is actually larger with the washers than it is with just the perch..  i only used 3 washers per side..

i should have just purchased the various thicknesses of coil spring isolators to go at the top..  

on a friends car.. where his shock bodies were too long and he did not want to purchase another set.. i got carriage bolts .. reduces the rounded head... used stacks of washers to space up the upper shock mount...  this restored the suspension range of movement..  as with is fairlane set up.. he only had about an inch and a  half before the shock was completely compressed..  he also had a aftermarket firewall brace.. that fit in there. it had a square hole that was too small for the shock body to fit upwards thru...  i will take a look around for that image.. i know i have that one..