• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

column help

bowona
New User
Posted: 04/10/13 09:23 PM

Ok guys I have a 1979 column tilt,my wiring is ??  the plugs push right into the column except the wiper-wash. Now I have an 86 column. and the wiper- wash looks the same but the pins are in different places in the plug . 79 wire plug, 86 wire plug. for a washer wiper.  Ok the two wiper arm are and look the same but the plugs are differant,can I repin them to work in this column 1979.wiring fits the 86 wiper arm but not the 79. the plug is worng..  help I don't know what eles to ***  help......................................my ass please..  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 04/11/13 01:51 AM

are both the wiper switches for intermittent wipers????

they had both types back then..

non intermittent and intermittent..

that will prevent them from plugging in.. as there are differences in the electrical connector..

i don't know if you have intermittent wipers... i had a 83 tbird that the intermittent box failed .. i was able to replace the wiper switch with a non intermittent wiper switch just by unplugging the intermittent box as the wiper switch connector pigtail was long enough to reach .. but it was just tucked away where it was connected to the delay box harness..

like this..

non delay  wipers=========/ non delay wiper switch...

delay wipers============//=== delay box=====/ delay wiper switch.  

MustangMan
Posted: 04/11/13 07:38 AM

I don't have (anymore, must have grown legs) a '79 wiring diagram, but I do have the '86 EVTM. This is the connector pinout for the '86 with intermittent. The non-intermittent is different, so be aware of which one you have. This should help you determine which wire does what and get you repinned and working.

86Intwiperdiagram Zpsc1fd1967

HTH...
Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto