• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

oil leak

JK65
New User
Posted: 04/26/13 08:45 PM

I pulled the 289 for gasket and paint this winter. It is now leaking oil at the back of motor. I did the oil pan again and that did not appear to be leaking and the oil leak is still the same. My only guess is the rear main is leaking.  I did this in the winter as well.  It was a two piece rubber gasket and I was pretty confident about it.  I am thinking of pulling the oil pan again and redoing the rear main.  Any tips would be appreciated. It is a 65 289 with a four speed (top loader). The oil is showing up on the dust plate between engine and bell housing.  I did the bearings as well.  Using a mirror the back of the intake is clean and dry.  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 04/27/13 07:22 AM

could have either seal in it.. a rubber seal or a rope seal...

since its leaking.. its probably a rope seal..

are you familiar with proper installation practices of the rope seal... where you use a big socket and pack it into the rear main cap starting at the middle and forcing as much in from the ends as possible.

there are several ways to do the upper half of the rope seal.. depending on how crumbly the upper seal is...

using brass tools... i normally punch the seal ends in .. this repacks the upper seal.. then short .. but longer than the cavity you have seal sections  are packed in..

this is how i handle the upper rope seals on some cars..

if you have a rubber seal.. or plan on installing on..  and again.. i am not sure if these are equipped with a pin to hold the upper seal stationary...

be sure to offset the ends like this so the parting line of the rear main cap.. does not line up with the parting lines of the rear seal...  5/16 to 3/8 offset is all thats needed ..

289 Budget Build Main Seal  

JK65
New User
Posted: 05/01/13 02:15 PM

It is rubber and the first time I did not offset it so maybe that is why it is leaking, thank you.