• Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

New member with 1966 FB resto questions

LoneStar66
New User
Posted: 04/27/13 07:21 PM

Howdy,
I'm trying to get a plan together to resto one of my '66 FB's.  I have been "away" for a very long, but I'm back in the saddle now and ready to start the resto process in about 10-12 months.  Problem is, I don't know where to begin.

The 2+2 is an "A" VIN and will be the first one to receive a full resto.  This car has no engine, tranny, or rear end, the interior is way gone, the glass is all there except for the back window.  There is some, though not much, rust and the floorpans are generally OK although there are a few trouble spots that will need attention.  The cowl looks to be OK also.  There will be some typical body work for sure, but the body is not all bashed or bent up.  

Instead of trying to salvage what remains of the car, I really want to just go ahead and gut everything and go with all new parts.

Does anybody have advice as to where I should begin?  

Thanks for any insight or recommendations.
LoneStar66  
LoneStar66

MustangMan
Posted: 04/29/13 07:14 AM

Personally, I feel you're on the right track. When it comes to major work like this the best thing is to take the car off the road and strip it to a bare shell. Then, and only then, can you properly evaluate the metal repairs needed and actually access everything.

Once you've performed your metal repairs it's then bodywork/paint time.

After you have a painted shell ready for assembly I generally follow this order:
All bolt on chassis parts (brake and fuel lines, bumper brackets, front suspension to the spindles, rear suspension and axle housing.

Next up, engine, trans, driveshaft, cooling system, and chassis wiring

Finally, interior wiring, interior trim, seats, glass, exterior chrome, wheels and tires.

That's just a general process, but it'll get you going in the right direction.

HTH...
Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

LoneStar66
New User
Posted: 04/29/13 06:50 PM

Thanks very much for the response, Mark.  Your insight is extremely helpful.  

I've waited nearly my entire life (literally) for this moment.  See, I purchased the cars from a college kid, who needed money for books and tuition, back in 1981.  They've been in storage ever since.  The GT has less than 20,000 miles on the odometer!  The 2+2 is around 60K.  

My next step is to see whether I should attempt to undertake the task of restoring them myself, whether all or just a portion of the work, or if I would be better off taking the cars, one at a time, to a professional restorer.  What are your thoughts/experience regarding that option?

Thanks again.  
LoneStar66

MustangMan
Posted: 04/30/13 07:06 AM

There are a lot of factors to consider really. Do you have the time to work on he car? Do you have the budget for a pro restorer? Do you have room and tools to work on it? What is your mechanical ability and so forth...

Frankly, I'm not a paint and body guy and my welding skills should be left to making emergency repairs and exhaust work where no one will see it! That being said, I have the ability to do everything else. Wiring, brakes, engine, so on...

So when I restored my '66 I had a local shop do the metal work (new floors, quarters, battery apron and core support, cowl, rear frame rails and taillight panel) then do all of the body work and paint. I got back a painted shell that I then built on from there. Restoring parts like the seats, heater box, console, etc. and installing new parts like door panels, wiring, etc. to complete the car using the steps I outlined above.

HTH...
Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto