• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

fuel pump noise

JK65
New User
Posted: 05/01/13 02:20 PM

The eccentric broke on my 65  289 last year.  It has a new fuel pump, timing chain, water pump.  There is a loud clicking noise coming from fuel pump. I did the long screwdriver to my ear. You can hear the noise standing outside the car with hood down.  How can I fix this?  It has been there since it was repaired last year. Is the eccentric about to break again?  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 05/02/13 06:19 AM

could be several things...

does it click all the time??? or only during start up???

i don't know if that year uses a sleeve around the eccentric.  that slips to prevent wear to the pump lever...

is it a whirring noise..  where the edge of the pump lever is hitting the timing chain pin ends as they move past??
you can take the belts off the engine and start it for some cell phone camera video .. with out the wind from the fan blotting out the fan..   you can post it to you tube or photobucket..

as a LEFT field guess.. and this is way out... can you  disconnect the ignition coil primary power so no spark is created.   then do a 15 second full flow cranking test.. into a clean clear plastic bottle..   see if the pulses from the pump are equal..  then hook  a pressure gauge to the end of the hose... see if the fuel pump holds pressure...

if there is dirt in the check valves from the tank or lines..  it can hold the check valves open. if the check valves don't hold pressure..  the pump will full stroke .. and can make noise..  

MustangMan
Posted: 05/02/13 07:44 AM

The fuel pump is only two bolts and the two fuel lines to remove it from the engine. It's about ten minutes worth of work. Take the fuel pump off and inspect the pivot arm for the pump and the pivot pin. You should be looking for play or rubbing.

Check the end of the pivot where it rides on the eccentric. It should have a nice even shiny spot. If it has grooves or abnormal wear you might have an issue with the eccentric. The two piece accentrics take a longer cam dowel pin, so make sure all your parts match up. Over the years stuff gets replaced or swapped and then problems with mismatched parts begin to happen.

HTH...
Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

JK65
New User
Posted: 05/03/13 08:45 AM

New tank as well last year. Noise is there all the time.  
mismatch parts sounds about right, i had to buy a 65 289 hipo water pump.  It is a 289 that was dressed up like a 289 hipo 30 years ago.  I am thinking the hipo fuel pump may be  different as well.  I will pull out fuel pump and take a look at it, I put a new one on last year before I knew it was the eccentric.  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 05/04/13 07:43 AM

289 High Performance V8 Fuel Pump Eccentrics

how come those like like a slightly different outside size???

289 Budget Build Timing Cover