• Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Transmission?

ymmot_is
New User
Posted: 05/10/13 08:14 AM

Hello!

I am a new member on this site and hav som questions about my transmision. I wonder about the year it is manufaktured an exatly what transmission. the casting number i have found is:
on right side C6AP-7D027-c
on left side front: D4DP-7006-AA
on left side back: D4ZP7A040-AA
on topside: 46189584

i hope somone can help me to idetify the model and year.
26 splines in front 28 back?
/Tommy Confused  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 05/11/13 05:33 AM

hopefully there is an ID TAG on one of the servo cover bolts somewhere on the transmission...

since you have a 26 spline input shaft ... i am going to say 70 up C4...

a trick i figured out about identifying C4 transmissions..

count the splines on the input...  

24 x 24... is a 66 to 69 unit
26 x 26 is a 70 only unit
26 x 24 is a 71 up unit..

70 up C4 transmissions all use the same kit... with only slight variations in clutch counts, usually less for the six cylinder applications..

since you have some D4 casting or engineering numbers... you probably have a mid 70s unit. all the way to an 81 unit...

there might also be an id tag on the valve body that few people will ever remove.. but its cryptic and only a transmission guy will know what they mean by comparing them ...

C4 is one of the transmissions that i usually build at home...

the transmission parts supplier usually upset when i go in once in a while... as i buy the whole selection of selectable washers... there are 4 or 5 sizes that fit around the outside of the pump and 5 sizes that fit on the end of the pump.. this is used to correct end play of the various components in the transmission..

there is also a casting number on the bell housing...  that won't identify exactly what year the transmission is.. but i have seen a website that lists all the different ford C3 and C4 even C5 bell housings by part number and image..

somebody might have an ID book that lists the numbers you have..  but mostly C4 transmissions are identified by the metal tag under a bolt on the side of the transmission..

one warning...  if you cannot fully seat the input shaft.. the thrust washer has fallen out of place because of excessive clearances inside the transmission...  

one HUGE tip for installation... dig in your tool box...  find a 7/16" 1/4" drive or 3/8 drive deep socket..  position the flex plate on the engine with the torque converter drain opening straight down..  position the torque converter in the transmission after verifying its seated all the way and slip the 7/16" deep socket on the drain plug on the torque converter...  you can now slide the transmission up and into place.. the deep socket will align the torque converter with the flex plate so it lines up without touching it or needing to turn it.. when you are slipping the bell housing over the alignment dowels..  this just makes it so much quicker...  you won't believe you did not think of it before..  i came up with this back in the early 80s when i worked at a transmission shop doing R and R..  i saw my friend at the shop R and R a 77 granada C4... from pushed on the rack to drive off in 15 minutes..  that was an amazing feat..  he had bet with the boss for 50 bucks that he could get it done by 5... and it was about 20 minutes to 5 on a friday.. he put his older daughters thru ivy league universities building transmissions without gouging customers.  

ymmot_is
New User
Posted: 05/12/13 12:58 AM

Thank you for the answer!

I shall try to figure out what year it is....but ther are no ID-tags on the transmission left.. Laugh  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 05/12/13 08:41 AM

if you have D4 numbers cast into the aluminum.. its a 74 UP transmission case..

70 to 72 use the same valve body

73 to 81.. use the same style of valve bodies..

there are variables in calibration .. but these transmissions are all interchangeable for the most part.

you have a fairly good chance of having a 73 up C4... so ordering parts for a 71 to 81 C4 will get you the proper components..

only issue would be the 70/72 valve body kit needs different components than the 73 up valve body kit..

most transmission shops just swap these around... only serious difference is the manual lever thru the side of the case... there are A bunch of options on this...  there are part numbers stamped into the bigger linkage lever..  what part number is on that..

i have a question....   do you need to order parts to rebuild this.. or identify it to place it on ebay??

i have run across these questions.. what is this before.. and its a part somebody picked up and wanted to hock on ebay for a small fortune..

if there is no id tag... try to keep it quiet so it does not get deported..   Grin

say.. upload some pictures of it to photobucket dot com..  you can post those links here and it will show up...  

ymmot_is
New User
Posted: 05/12/13 01:05 PM

Hello again!

Try this, i have put som pictures as you wrote...

s1318.photobucket.com/user/Tommy_Jonasson/library/?sort=3&page=1

/Tommy Cool  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 05/12/13 01:27 PM

i see 3 different colors of paint on that transmission.. its been around the block a few times....

IMG 0052 Zpsdc184f9a

do you need a rebuilding kit.. as that one has been swapped a few times at various points in its life...

there are several articles scattered thru the 40 or so magazines on this site..  

ymmot_is
New User
Posted: 05/13/13 09:23 PM

Hello again!

Thank you for the answer!

I dont need to repair it just now, but it is great to find out what transmission it was. I have picked out the engine from the car also and it is a -66 engine in it. Not original...It was a six cylinder engine at the begining in the car and a manual transmission....So it was important to know the year of them. Laugh
/Tommy