• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

69 coupe convert to power steering.

Roslyn
New User
Posted: 06/06/13 11:54 AM

Hi I have recently bought a 69 coupe. Unfortunately I don't know much about restoring or maintaining old cars. Hopefully I will learn as I go along. I need to convert to some sort of power steering but do not have the money to go for complete rack and pinion can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative that I can look for please be as specific as possible about the name of the part and how much difference I can expect.
I am in the dark at the moment I have looked at a few steering kits but am hoping for something slightly cheaper that still makes a fairly large difference.  

MustangMan
Posted: 06/07/13 06:44 AM

Welcome to the forum Roslyn!

Rack and pinion conversions can be quite spendy and some effect exhaust routing and what not as well. For a simple, bolt on system I'd recomend the Borgeson power steering kit. The nice thing is the '69 already has a rag joint at the base of the steering column, so there's no modifications needed. Simply bolt the gearbox onto the frame rail, bolt the pump to the engine, and connect two hoses!

You didn't state if the coupe was an inline-six or a V-8, but they have kits for both. Check them out here:

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalog/19651970_Mustang_Power_Steering_Conversion_Kits-orderby_0-p-1-c-104.html

HTH!
Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

jrw69
New User
Posted: 06/08/13 02:31 PM

Roslyn
Borgeson kit is the best to go but if you have a  toploader, z bar clearance issues come into play. That's what I am dealing with now. What type of tranny do you have?

JRW69  

Roslynvs
New User
Posted: 06/09/13 11:57 AM

Thanks guys.

For some reason I cant log in with my original account so I have made a new account.
My mustang is a c4 auto v8.

I went onto the Borgeson website and had a look, I think I have found what I need.
I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.  

Roslynvs
New User
Posted: 06/11/13 04:07 AM

This is all the info that I have on my car.

1969 Ford Mustang.
Ford 302 V8 with C4 Auto Gearbox
This is a list of NEW Imported parts:
All Exterior S/S trim and beadings, All new lenses and lights, Grill surrounds, Bonnet, Bonnet catch and hinges,  Struts and shocks, Ball joints, links and rubber mounts, Booster and master and slave cylinder,Discs, Weather strips, American racing wheels and tyres. Fuel pump. Painless wiring kit, Engine chrome trim. Petrol cap. Rose wood steering wheel
Recondition parts:
Motor: New Edelbrock intake and Holly Carburetor.
Gearbox and diff. Alternator and radiator.
New Prop shaft , new break and fuel lines, new chassis relay, new battery. New Cowley exhaust system. New leaf springs.  

Roslynvs
New User
Posted: 06/11/13 04:20 AM

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your reply.

I have another question for you if you don't mind.
My steering wheel sits quite far forward so it rests on my thighs and is a bit uncomfortable when I drive.
I have been looking at flaming river tilt columns. I found one on mustangsplus.com part no FR20004-69ss I am not sure if this is the right thing for my car.
This is a bit presumptuous of me but do you think you could have a look at the part and tell me if I am on the right track. As i said I don't know too much about cars so I am trying to learn as I go and trying to get info from wherever I can. My steering wheel is not the original it has been added on recently.

Thank you so much
Roslyn  

MustangMan
Posted: 06/11/13 10:24 AM

I could not find that PN on the Mustangs Plus website, but this is the standard paintable tilt column you would order for your '69 to use the stock Ford steering wheel that you already have:

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/1967-70-5-Position-Tilt-Steering-Column-Paintable.html

By the description of your Mustang I would assume you are in the UK or Australia? Best of luck with your new ride and feel free to post updates or questions here in the relevant sub forums!

Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

Roslynvs
New User
Posted: 06/30/13 11:35 AM

Thanks Mark.
Became a bit of a mission. I ordered this part from Mustangs plus but there was a problem and it was taking forever but my mechanic has managed to find one anyway.
I am actually from South Africa. I have put up a new post in mustang misc about a weird problem I am having. Thank you so much for your help.
Have a great day.