• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

What brake part is missing?

idrivejunk
New User
Posted: 06/22/13 01:25 PM

Working on a 1970 Mach1 with a single diaphragm Bendix power brake booster #6945. When I separated the master cylinder from the booster on a bench, I must have lost something. I didn't unclip anything and thought I was being wary for falling parts, but as soon as I pulled it I passed it to our paint shop. I think I have the pushrod (goes between master and booster) but am missing the "reaction disc" and possibly a plunger end that rides on the pushrod at the booster end. Theres nothing rattling around inside the booster but I think I will use a scope tool to look inside when I get back to the shop Monday.

I don't have the chassis assembly manual and cannot find any help from web searching and am almost to the point of wanting to buy a booster / master combo just to see whats in between. Just don't know what I am looking for, heck it may have fallen out on the bench and I just don't know what it looks like. Anybody got a diagram or part numbers or just a helpful hint? Thanks in advance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here are a few pics to illustrate my problem. I just can't imagine what the piece must look like, that sets in the booster before the pushrod and seal go in.

IMG 3355 Zps373cc4db

IMG 3354 Zps0fce586b

IMG 3352 Zps84f00aa5

IMG 3350 Zps77cd506f

IMG 3349 Zps72f990a8  
idrivejunk

waynep712222
User
Posted: 06/22/13 05:08 PM

i don't know what goes in there.. thats one of the few places i have never been in a car...

i know there is a BIG spring pushing the 2 halves apart... so i never even bothered to open them..

this probably won't answer your questions.. but its a start...

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/mump_0209_ford_mustang_brakes/viewall.html

there must be some kind of block in there...  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 06/22/13 05:09 PM

this i think is a different model than what you are working on..

Boosterexploded1  

idrivejunk
New User
Posted: 06/22/13 05:22 PM

Thats my ongoing mission ... to boldly go where no one has gone before! Pardon the trek reference. This is what happens when you take stuff far enough apart to paint EVERYthing. Something is gonna get away from ya every time.

I studied the heck out of that article and the images there are just as close to paydirt as I have come. Right now, odds are I'll have to replace the whole combo to get that part. You can bet I'll search high and low, but I sure am hoping somebody has a pic of the complete setup or a factory diagram with part number. Reckon I could whittle something up but this is a nice job that needs to really be right when it goes out the door. Wish me luck!  
idrivejunk