• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

1970 Mach 1 key buzzer not working

1hcam0791
New User
Posted: 06/30/13 03:39 PM

My Mach has a key buzzer. I have located the buzzer behind the radio and bench tested it to confirm it still works. All of the door jamb switches are working too. The key buzzer is just not working when the key is in the ignition and the door opened. I faintly remember hearing it work briefly about 20 years ago but never messed with it until now. My question is if there is another relay anywhere else on the car that controls this buzzer? Could it be a worn ignition switch?. Any suggestions on diagnosing this would be appreciated.

Thanks.  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 06/30/13 05:55 PM

3 wires to the key warning buzzer

red and a yellow stripe wire is power from the second fuse from the right on the bottom row..

black goes to the turn signal switch connector.. where it goes up thru the turn signal switch to be connected thru the switch somehow to the ignition lock cylinder..

red goes to the left hand door switch...

key on... and you can do this with the turn signal switch unplugged...

ground the black wire into the chassis side of the connector.. with the door open.. does the buzzer ring..

or.. use the continuity beeper on the black wire into the turn signal switch.. see if the key being inserted causes a continuity to ground..

you can see the black and pink wire in the removed device all the way to the right side of the image... that goes over the lock cylinder...

the probe is shown over the ignition lock cylinder retaining pin hole.. push a pin into that while you have the lock cylinder between lock and run.. and the lock cylinder should come right out..

please don't turn it to attempt to remove the key...

IMG 8535  

1hcam0791
New User
Posted: 06/30/13 06:37 PM

Thanks for the quick response. My car only has two wires going to the buzzer behind the radio. One is red and the other is black. The buzzer only has two prongs and by part number appears original. I think I am going to check out the column as you described. I have a feeling that is my best place to start.  

I will get to it in a few days. Thanks!