• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

New Radio in '66 kills Battery

braz
Enthusiast
Posted: 07/03/13 06:43 AM

I finally put an aftermarket radio in my '66 Stang. An Alpine 133BT, and Pioneer G1644R speakers from John's Mustang that I installed in their prefrabricated kick panels.

Im not sure where to tap in on the fuse block. There is a red wire to power it up upon ignition, and a yellow wire for constant flow to hold the settings and memory.

I inserted the power wires into two different places. The red wire to post ignition(20 amp lighter fuse), and the yellow wire to the (constant) heater fuse.

It's dragging the battery down and I had to push her home yesterday. It pulled the voltage down so low I could'nt even start it with my magic solonoid bypass wire.
Would appreciate a suggestion on a better fusebox hookup.

Thanks guys, as always.

In this pic, the yellow wire is blue, I had to extend it and ran out of yellow. And yeah, I need to shine up the metal!

24Li

Wtw  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 07/03/13 04:45 PM

well.. there are a few issues....

power wires on digital car stereos need 2 sources of power..

one wire is constant power for the channel memory..

the other wire is for switched power...

i have had terrible issues with car stereos lately... where there is so much draw when everything is turned off that it drains the battery when left overnight..

there is a specific connector for accessories...

you can see it as a black 3 pin connector coming out the top right of the new harness fuse block in the image at this link..

there is a better view of it in the next image to the right when it loads..

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_0401_how_to_install_new_ford_mustang_wiring_harness/photo_28.html

that should be switched ignition...

if you have a digital volt meter with a 10, 15, or 20 AMP DC setting.. you might want to check for parasitic draws..

Current Draw

this is the harbor freight 37772 that goes for about 20 bucks..  look in your print issue for coupons.. it does up to 20 amp DC ..

Harborfreightvoltmeter37772

you may also want to run this test... please post results,    this should be printable..   so you can take it right to the car.
practice on other cars also .. so you can see that the numbers i have posted are what there should be...

Voltagedroptesting  

54packman
Enthusiast
Posted: 07/03/13 05:07 PM

make sure you dont have the constant (mem) wire hooked to the ignition and the radio power hooked to the constant, try putting a test light in series with (one end of the light to the blue , the other end to the fuse block, and do the same with the red, the light should be almost off if no draw)  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 07/03/13 05:15 PM

I inserted the power wires into two different places. The red wire to post ignition(20 amp lighter fuse), and the yellow wire to the (constant) heater fuse.

It's dragging the battery down and I had to push her home yesterday. It pulled the voltage down so low I could'nt even start it with my magic solonoid bypass wire.
Would appreciate a suggestion on a better fusebox hookup.

JUST REVERSE your connections at the fuse block...

yellow wire to the cigar lighter fuse.. that should be constant power..

red wire to  the acc fuse.. that should be switched....

with the way it was... the stereo was on all the time..

hint... if you don't care about the channel memory.. you can usually leave the yellow wire disconnected or hook both to the accessory position...  you may want to pick up some male bullet connectors to go into the accessory block shown above in the link i put up.+  

braz
Enthusiast
Posted: 07/03/13 05:30 PM

Thanks friends, I knew I could count on y'all for stuff like this.

Wayne, don't laugh. You would think wiring up recording studio patch bays would make this a no brainer.  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 07/03/13 11:12 PM

hmm... i don't know why but i flashed back to when my brother had just become chief engineer in charge of R and D at a new studio in hollywood .. from another city . ..   they were still building the studios.. my brother said.. we are going to need larger conduit there.. its not enough room to get all the wires thru..  well.. they did not listen..  had to rip out several walls and sections of flooring to install bigger conduit..  3m79 machines and BTX devices that did not want to talk together.. took a lot of R and D to get working.. tape librarian.. with the great idea of magnetic labels for the MASTER TAPE library shelving..   i think it was also there that the tape librarian also reduced storage by recording several different masters onto one tape..  then failed to properly label the reels.. just tucked in a hand written memo..  that person did that to every tape there.. then tossed the originals..  or used them to record others..  i seem to recall that there were no tape alignments done.. just dropped them on the 24 tracks and transfered them around to fill empty reel space.. moved all the 2 track mixdown masters onto multitrack tapes.. in parallel..  2 or 4 channels at a time...  my brother was so mad.. but i wonder what the studio owners thought??

so swapping switched and memory power is a small issue sometimes.  

idrivejunk
New User
Posted: 07/04/13 01:20 PM

Dang, I'm late to the party. I like your keychain, Braz. Remember to take the face plate in with you at night! If you want a cool update for this area of your car- snag an inexpensive six-circuit fuse box from the parts store, a box of blade type fuses, and some spade connectors then get out the wire crimper. A few blanket layers make laying under the dash to work much more tolerable, I find. You can have all clean new connections and modern fuses installed in an hour or so, just pay atttention to the old fusebox's power distribution. Mustangs have a lot of items on one circuit, it seems. Larger fuse panels are also easy to install and give much more flexibility for modifications. Peace, bro.  
idrivejunk

braz
Enthusiast
Posted: 07/04/13 03:56 PM

Matt, the radio faceplate travels with me when "Tabitha" is not using it. She also has a heavy duty club locked on her bus size steering wheel, and the distributor middle wire disconnected and hidden. Not to mention the 44 that travels in my panties everywhere I go.

I didn't know about the 6-circuit fuse box, that might be a good upgrade on this one. I haven't had a chance to flip the wires per Waynes advice yet, been busy making music. I did first test which wires turned the radio on/off with the ignition, and which one held the memory, but I'll reverse it monyana.

Wayne, I had to dig into my studio walls too when I got tired of mono headphone mixes. Stringing all those wires through a 1" conduit and selecting the right one for each jack for 200 feet run is tedious, but worth the effort - especially for the singer. Hard to believe the Beatles made those great records with harsh mono cans and nothing above 10K. Ouch!

I would love to have known you and your brother during those years. I can only imagine how angry he was at those masters being mutilated like that. And I really have to laugh at the clueless tape librarian that put those magnetic labels on the masters. I picture them functioning as a flash drive that can't be opened, and nobody knowing where the music went.