• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Audio upgrade 69 coupe

Roslynvs
New User
Posted: 07/07/13 06:10 AM

I have the original radio in my car it is not connected though so I am not sure that it works.
I want to upgrade to be able to play cd's or connect my iPod the thing is that I don't want anything that looks modern, I don't want any kind of LCD screen or lights on it. Can anybody recommend anything?  

braz
Enthusiast
Posted: 07/07/13 06:56 AM

Roslyn, there are several aftermarket radios with CD/cassette/iPod available through John's Mustang in Houston, Texas. They are designed to fit in the original AM radio location and use the original knobs. This is their phone number and website.

1-713-668-5646     www.johnsmustang.com

I must mention though, that they have not had very good reviews for reliability. I wanted to do the same thing with my '66 coupe, and ended up recently installing a new system under the ashtray, sort of combining old and new - and very pleased with the results. My car (Tabitha) seems to appreciate the upgrade as well. The original AM radio is unusable due to all the internal parts being just flat worn out. It can be fixed, but hardly worth the cost.

Here is a link to my new one if you decide on an upgrade that doesn't involve a bunch of money. It will handle any USB device including Bluetooth.

http://forums.mustangmonthly.com/70/9458228/vintage-mustangs/new-radio-in-66-kills-battery/  

idrivejunk
New User
Posted: 07/07/13 07:12 AM

You can also mount the modern stereo in a hidden alternate location (under seat, glove box, console) since most new units have remote control.  
idrivejunk

Roslynvs
New User
Posted: 07/07/13 07:49 AM

Thanks Guys. I will look into it. I think the hidden one is probably best because I really don't want any modern looking things in my car. I shall have to do some research and hope for the best. I was lucky enough to buy my Mustang in amazing condition just adding a few things to make it that much better. Just wish I knew how to do all this stuff myself.  

braz
Enthusiast
Posted: 07/07/13 08:44 AM

That's pretty much the same with me, my wife and I fell in love with our '66 at first sight and got it for $6,000. Idrivejunk is a master paint & body man and is currently working on a late 60's Fastback for showroom specs. It's incorporating elements of the original with 2013 suspension, brake and stereo system updates.

Looking stock has never been too much a big deal to me, although I hate seeing a classic ruined with those 20" rims, hydrolics, and booming bass. But I understand wanting to keep the original feel and look. There's a balance of new and old. If you order a 2013 catalog from John's Mustang it will give you a lot of good detailed stuff that is not available online.

Your 'Stang looks really great. I was lucky with mine too, that it had a freshly rebuilt 289 Hi-Po and the thing is so easy to work on.

Good luck and let us know your progress!  

idrivejunk
New User
Posted: 07/07/13 02:54 PM

Braz, "Jack of all trades, Ace of none" might be more accurate! The Mach1 is a nice balance of new and old. The retro vibe loves enhancements but radio knobs can be a different story.

Another tip to research, in case y'all haven't heard- Steering wheel mounted remote controls are available in some cases. I have one on my '69 Grand Prix, but its an older Clarion. Mounts with a velcro strap for easy on and off, keeps your eyes on the road.

Enjoy your classic, Ros.  
idrivejunk

70bird
User
Posted: 07/08/13 06:16 AM

Hello

You can get a face face plate that 5 x 2 x 3/4 called secret audio. I can mount in your glove box. It comes with a remote. The actual radio and cd mounts in the trunk.

Last I know of there is no original looking radios with cd players remote or otherwise.

Click link below, they are near top of page

http://www.casmfg.com/ColorCatPDF.pdf  

braz
Enthusiast
Posted: 07/08/13 12:01 PM

Page's 6 and 7 are what I was refering to from secret audio.