• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

sqreach / sqwell when starting

Luke65
User
Posted: 07/15/13 08:56 AM

I have a 65 289auto four barrel with power steering and when starting it when its hot it sqreaches or sqwells really loud and I'm not sure of its like a belt witch are new or something else any ideas or tips for stopping this loud sqreach.      Thanks all  

70bird
User
Posted: 07/15/13 09:17 AM

It's typically either the alt or ps belt because they are old and glazed, tightening occasionally helps but replacement is best. They must feel tight like a rubber band when correctly adjusted. The ps belt is hard to get that tight. Belt dressing is a temporary fix if that.  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 07/15/13 02:06 PM

70bird is totally correct..

let me give you an idea..

one the alternator belt tension...   engine off.. keys in your pocket.   place thumb on the alternator fan...  and push..  does the alternator turn without turing the rest of the accessories and the crank.. if it does then its too loose...

adjusting the alternator belt is tricky.. you have to get it just slightly tighter than what it takes to prevent slippage.. without overtightening the belt tension which can cause the belt to break.. the various accessory bearings to have a very short life span..

the power steering belt on these usually turn the radiator fan.. same test.. push the blade.  if its not a fan clutch type..  it should NOT slip .. so you will need to snug it up slightly..

because of mixing and matching of parts..  please verify that the belts that go over the water pump.. or where 2  belts go over the same pulley.. that the pulley diameters match... some times there are different size pulley for different belt drives... Vv  with 2 different sizes.. going over the crank and the water pump pulley..  you will have horrible belt squealing issues..

i have seen a few over the past 30 years where the pulleys were swapped around between years and it caused issues.. i saw on a chevy.. where the belts from the crank were run across the first and second groove on the water pump pulley and nobody caught that ..  

54packman
Enthusiast
Posted: 07/15/13 04:19 PM

one other thing does the alternator or the power steering belt uses two belts in the exact same routing, if so you may have to pick up  a set of MP belts for it, (MP is matched pair, so you will get two belts that are the exact same length) other wise one belt will always be a little tighter that the other, and the other belt will ride higher in the grove of the pulley so the belt speed will be slightly off between the two belts causing a squeal. other thing new belts will streach  quiet a bit too, so will need re adjusting just not too tight or it will tend to take out water pump bearings or the alternator bearings too..  

MustangMan
Posted: 07/16/13 06:42 AM

To answer the OP question, if you're not sure if it is the belts or not, simply run the car to temperature, remove the belts and then restart it. If there's no squealing then the belts or accessories/pulleys are the culprit. If you still get squealing then it is elsewhere.

They are hard to find these days, but a V-belt tension gauge is a good idea to ensure you have the proper belt tension. A long prybar can put way too much tension on the FEAD and ruin bearings...

HTH...
Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

cushman350
Enthusiast
Posted: 07/28/13 06:34 AM

I always use a good pry bar, the trick is total belt deflection from the center point of the longest belt span. If I have a total of 1.25-1.5", that's tight enuf. Any less would be overstressing the bearings and the belt. 63 year old shadetree mechanic and SBF stroker builder.