• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

clutch

fordfam5
New User
Posted: 08/27/13 10:40 AM

installed Borgeson power steering box conversion and lines interfere with original clutch linkage. wanted input on cable clutch linkage vs. hydraulic clutch linkage on 68 fastback without power brakes  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 08/27/13 06:55 PM

there are many people happy with the cable set ups and with the hydraulic set ups..

one thing.. with the headers and the hydraulic set ups...

do you have HEADERs... or are planning headers... so fit.. some don't ...

depending on which way you end up going..

i helped a friend install a cable clutch set up on his 66 fairlane 500.. 302/toploader..

he used a quicktime scatter shield.. we had some issues with the length of the fulcrum ball stud.. ended up making a longer version out of a carrage bolt by rounding the head on a grinder to fit the clutch fork... so be sure that you have both lengths...  we converted from a C4 auto to the toploader..

we also had to swap the pedals around.. he had picked up a pair of clutch and brake pedals.. and the hanger.. so i was able to bolt some plywood to the front of the hanger after making a cardboard pattern from the existing hole in the firewall ..

this allowed me to assemble the clutch pedals and mock up the angles on everything  on the work bench...

we did end up using my port a power to move some of the header tubes around.. and i think we added a chunk of water pipe over the casing later to prevent burning a second cable casing..

i probably still have images from the mock up on the work bench.. i lost a lot of images a few years back when i had a hard drive error..   if its around it will be somewhere in about 25,000 images in my old computer.. i will eventually get some time to search it out.. so keep in touch..

lastly.. if you are converting from an automatic.. there is a difference in the starter nose cone length on some models..  i found out the starter mounting shim from dorman needs to have the bolt holes drilled out to about 9/16 to properly clear the bolts when they are installed in the bell housing.. try the shim against the bell housing first.. without the starter.. you will see that only the first bolt will go in straight without drilling oversize on the shim.. i notified dorman about this issue.. but i don't know if they have done anything about it..  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 08/28/13 12:31 AM

Fairlaneclutchpedalmockup5 Zpsfa1b9a03

Fairlaneclutchpedalmockup3 Zps77b5a58b

Fairlane Pedalmockup2 Zps2b85dd8b

Fairlaneclutchpedalmockup1 Zps69780ce2

Fairlaneclutchpedalmockup4 Zpsa521f915  

70bird
User
Posted: 09/02/13 03:29 AM

i used a cable before on a std pressure plate not a heavy one. it worked fine but looks ugly.  

cushman350
Enthusiast
Posted: 09/02/13 03:15 PM

So the clutch pedal pushes on the cable housing and the actual cable is secured to  the stationary bracket added to the support. I had to stare at it for a moment. Smile)