• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

do i need a capiacitor with halogen headlights

orgpony
New User
Posted: 09/29/13 03:17 PM

I installed sequential rear turn signals on my 65 pony several years ago, no problem.
 recently I installed halogen headlights and front led turn signals. now the turn signals (front and rear) are very dim when the headlights are on and will not work at all with the engine running. very confusing!
  I thought I read something on this forum several years ago about needing a transformer or capicator but can"t find it. Thanks  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 09/29/13 07:09 PM

no... you need load dropping relays...

one for the high beams and another for the low beams..  this allows the headlights to be powered directly from the battery positive cable from the relay stud..

there is an article on this halogen headlight upgrade.. its easy.. almost a direct plug in..
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_0707_modern_h4_headlamp_conversion/

please... also run my 5 minute voltage drop test...
to verify the grounds are correctly attached.

Voltagedroptestinghttp://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/534/voltagedroptesting.jpg[/img]  

orgpony
New User
Posted: 09/30/13 03:48 PM

Wayne, thanks a bunch for your reply, thought I had found the answer. could not contact the company, phone # no longer in service and no active web site. I also contacted cjpony parts and national parts depot but to no avail.
  this problem is driving me further insane, any other help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, eddie  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 09/30/13 05:06 PM

hmm...

that would not take a LOT of work to create...  hardest part would be the adaptor plug to connect to ONE of the original headlight plugs.. and i know what i would use.

as there is the proper plug used on some 4 headlight GM trucks.. including pickups, vans and motor homes.. where the harness was designed for a single headlight for each side and an adaptor harness was created for double headlights per side.. it has a male terminal plug to connect to the single harness plug and a hi/low beam plug and a 2 wire high beam plug..  

relays are easily available...

you might also want to create a hidden version..  by installing relays controlled by the output of the dimmer switch..  the issue would be the need to supply more amperage under the dashboard...

but it might be easier to find somebody who sells the scott drake headlight relay harness..  
http://restorationpartssource.com/store/product75351.html#75351  

MustangMan
Posted: 10/01/13 07:40 AM

Eddie, if your '65 still retains the OE "Falcon" dash with single turn indicator in the dash that might be your issue. Check with Mustang Project about that. They have a special turn signal bulb for your dash that works with LED front turn signals.

I don't usually hear about dim headlights with this issue, but generally the rear LEDs work fine and then when the owner upgrades to front LED signals the non-operating issues begin.

Check it out here:
http://www.mustangproject.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?ID=3a32761c-fda9-43fa-90d8-d0c6b944111a

HTH...
Mark  
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

waynep712222
User
Posted: 10/01/13 09:32 AM

mark.. thats a NEAT light bulb for the dash...

i wish that eddie would pick up the digital volt meter and find out that there is not enough ground straps between the battery negative and the body.. and between the body and the engine...

eddie... tell you what...

get in your trunk.. take out the jumper cables...   hook up the black handled cable from the battery negative terminal to the engine block...    

hook up the red jumper cable from the body to the engine block...   NOT TO THE POSITIVE SIDE...

start the engine.. turn on the headlights.. now turn on the various other devices...

see if the systems work better..

there has to be a ground connection between the

bat negative and the engine block..

bat negative and the body...