• Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

knocking after dizzy change

Brainz
New User
Posted: 10/02/13 04:43 PM

Hello all,
Changed the distributor in my 66 289. Started it up and noticed a knocking. Turned it off and started it again and still knocks. Checked the oil pressure and it read 0. Turned it off pulled dizzy checked for the hex shaped shaft dizzy goes on to and it was there and appeared to be ok. Reinstalled dizzy, started it up and now have oil pressure but still knocks but not as loud. The knock appears to be coming from the number one cylinder. Any ideas, Im scared to drive it.  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 10/02/13 08:36 PM

http://www.circletrack.com/enginetech/ctrp_1110_engine_failure_analysis/viewall.html  

70bird
User
Posted: 10/02/13 09:46 PM

you now have oil pressure and likely have a bad bearing

start eng if you want.

pull plug on noisy cyl

if knock reduces bearing is likely bad not the piston or pin.

bummer.  

Brainz
New User
Posted: 10/06/13 12:24 PM

Ok, drove around the block and knock went away immediately.
Sat overnight, started it up and no knock at all. Just drove 5 miles and everything seems fine, plenty of power and no knock at all. Strange indeed. For some reason, after distributor change wasn't pumping oil and I assume valve was a little dry, after pulling dizzy and re installing oil pressure was back and just had to re circulate oil over valve. All seems fine. Doing a 30 mile drive down PCH this weekend, will post how goes.  

70bird
User
Posted: 10/06/13 02:05 PM

x

Was it a hard solid knock or a tick like a lifter?  

Brainz
New User
Posted: 10/09/13 03:05 PM

It was a tick, not really a hard knock. Sorry for not being more descriptive.  

70bird
User
Posted: 10/09/13 03:27 PM

it was a lifter, you got lucky. i would run valvoline vr1 oil. it has the correct amount of zddp for a flat tappet [non roller] eng  

Brainz
New User
Posted: 10/10/13 09:50 AM

Thanks for the advise 70bird. I will put Valvoline vr1 in on the next oil change, using autozone 10w30 right now. One more question, off this topic though.

I am going to put a pertronix ignitor in and get rid of points in my dizzy.
I have decided to put the ignitor 1 (already ordered it) and I also ordered the flamethrower 3.0 ohm coil. I am going to remove the resistor, is this the right coil, I see a lot of online discussion about the 1.5 vs 3.0 coils. As far as I can tell as long as I remove the resistor, the 3.0 ohm should be fine correct? Thanks again. (I ordered it from Amazon so if I need the 1.5, returning it will be no problem)  

Brainz
New User
Posted: 10/10/13 01:35 PM

Ok, nevermind that last question. Got a hold of Pertronix and they said to use the 1.5. Thanks for all the help.