• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

clutch noise

JK65
New User
Posted: 05/01/13 02:32 PM

new clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing last year. when i took engine and trans out this winter the throw out bearing was shot. I don't drive it more than 3000 a year. The bearing always made a noise when the clutch was released.  I put a new bearing in and new clutch parts from firewall to bell housing.  It had wrong Z-bar welded in place no spring molded pin to fork.  All new parts including the pin which is adjustable.  I have adjusted this all the way in and all the way out and when clutch is released the bearing is still spinning and making the noise.  Help or I will be replacing these every year and I don't want to do this.  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 05/02/13 06:02 AM

should be two springs...

but just one is needed...

the one that pulls back on the end of the clutch fork..  to pull the throw out bearing away from the fingers of the clutch when your foot is not on the clutch..

adjustments need to be made with this return spring DISCONNECTED..  so there is a small amount of clearance .. just enough to allow the throw out bearing to stop..

the spring from the Zbar to the clutch fork prevents the clutch adjuster from dropping out. .

on aftermarket versions..  i have taken to welding one of the JAM nuts to the opening on the cone.. so it won't fall off if it ever drops out of the clutch fork.. like when the grease on the inside sliding sleeve of the throw out bearing is a little cold..

14554 007

then any kind of prytool can be used to lever the clutch fork back to reset the clutch adjuster..