• Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Timing question

Brainz
New User
Posted: 10/13/13 08:03 AM

Hello all! 1967 Ford 289
I have no timing marks on my damper, sanded and brushed it down to shiny metal. The only thing on it is a couple of lines a few inches apart. Now, where a timing pointer should be on the motor (I think), there is a timing tab with 4,8,12,16 on it. So maybe a timing tape used to be on the damper but not any more? I just put in a pertronix ignitor and had my edelbrock rebuilt so I need to adjust timing and carb but am stumped on the timing.  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 10/13/13 11:13 AM

do any of the marks on the damper .. line up when you start the motor and aim the timing light at them..

can you pull the first spark plug and with some solid copper wire thru the spark plug hole.. try to do this on the compression stroke..  see if you can feel where the piston is at its highest... while you rock the crank back and forth...

where is your timing pointer.. on the left side or the right side???

is it metal  or plastic...

can you get a casting number off the side of the block.. back near the starter???  

70bird
User
Posted: 10/13/13 05:09 PM

what side is the timing tab on, driver or passenger?

either way the second mark on the damper to reach the tab is 0. the first mark is for advance.  

Brainz
New User
Posted: 10/13/13 08:00 PM

Pointer is on the driver side. Metal. Lines on damper do not line up with pointer, if I make them by adjusting the timing it starts running bad.  

Brainz
New User
Posted: 10/13/13 08:05 PM

This has me confused. Neither one of the marks on the damper is near the tab when the timing light hits it. Could be a tooth off? Runs good when set by "ear" but I don't have the skill to know if its right. Thinking about using a vacuum gauge to set it. Will look for numbers on the block tomorrow.  

54packman
Enthusiast
Posted: 10/23/13 12:02 PM

what you can do is use a small wood dowel through the #1 spark plug hole, and mark the dowel at 2 inches, turn the engine over by hand one direction  to get the piston to touch the dowel and the line on the dowel is flush with the spark hole, then make the crank pully with the frist mark, now turn the engine over the oppisite direction till you get the dowel to the same mark on the dowel,  then mark the crank pully again, now split the difference between the two marks and that will be really close to the TDC.. and may even line up with one of the two lines on the balancer  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 10/23/13 05:28 PM

timing pointer on the drivers side of the motor is probably an early timing cover..

there are 3 different locations...

one on the drivers side...

two on the passenger side... the ones on the passenger side are either 30 or 40 degrees apart..

and i totally agree with 54 packman...

when this happens.. one must identify where TDC is.. and paint mark the damper..

i don't have but access to two small block fords..  one a true 70 302.. the other is a 66/7 fairlane..  and i plan on taking some decent images next time i can get under the hood...

there are timing mark diagrams in some aftermarket service manuals.. currently all of my books and manuals are put away.. and stacked out of reach.. i counted the boxes the other day... there are 20 file boxes of manuals and service info in one stack.. i know that i have at least 60 boxes of automotive info altogether..

almost all ford parts have either an engineering number or a part number on them..

if you can spend a few minutes or an hour to identify the numbers on the timing cover and the harmonic damper. will let some of use with cross reference manuals to figure out where parts came from...

Fordtimingcoverchart  

70bird
User
Posted: 10/24/13 03:45 AM

well the vac gauge will be good for idle. if it pings on acceleration just reduce it.

connect dist vac to ported port not manifold vac.

hold throttle 1/4 open

if engine rpm does not drop your vac advance is not working.

suck on the line that goes to dist, if it has leak replace vac can with p/n vc 31 for v8.