• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

First Project Help.

Zhigginb
New User
Posted: 10/16/13 02:07 PM

Hey everyone I wanted to join a forum before I started my first project. I am looking at buying a 66 coupe to restore the car has everything except the engine and transmission which I think is better for me bc I want to have a manual as well as a more powerful engine. At the same time I'm wanting to know that if I get the 302 engine I'm looking at and the 5speed manual Trans what else am I going to need to upgrade ? My big ticket items I'm wondering about are the suspension and drivetrain. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks  

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 10/18/13 01:17 PM

Depends on your starting point - if it's a 6 cyl car, you will need to replace eng mount perches and front suspension components along with a rear end to hold up to the V8.

If it's a V8 - what is the ratio of the rear end and how hot do you plan on building the engine? Probably ought to think about a rear end punkin' change/rebuilt with decent gears (above the 2.8 or 3.0 range) or a 9" setup.

From a safety standpoint, you should also consider going to disc brakes on the front as a minimum.
Lastly, if you want to minimize chassis flexing a set of frame rail connectors are a good idea.  

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 10/18/13 01:17 PM

duplicated