• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Neutral Safety Switch Question

mrjibba
New User
Posted: 06/11/13 05:54 PM

I have a 66 coupe with all new wiring. I have a 1970 C 4 tranny and I am wondering which neutral safety switch I need. Do I buy one for the year of my car so that the wiring will go together correctly or do I need to buy the one for year of the tranny and splice the wires if the plugs are different. I guess another way to say it is: are neutral safety switches all the same with different wiring, or is every one different b/c of gear differences?? Thanks  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 06/11/13 08:51 PM

more than likely you should be able to use a 66 C4 neutral safety switch... so it will match the wiring..

warning.. there is a DIFFERENCE in the manual lever between those two years...

Transseala

Transsealb

the alignment of the grooves verses internal transmission lever selection is probably the same.. its the length from center and the curves of the manual lever that varies from application to application...  

MustangMan
Posted: 06/12/13 07:26 AM

The '70 FMX used a NSS mounted within the shifter mechanism. Make sure you are using a C4 and not the FMX trans.

If you don't want to swap manual levers (requires dropping the pan, removing the valve body, etc.) I would get the '70 C4 NSS and then simply use male and female bullet connectors to connect to the '66 wiring coming out of the firewall. OR if you don't mind cutting the plugs off of your brand new wiring you can simply buy a four-flat trailer plug and use that for both the NSS and the firewall wiring for a nice and neat solution.

HTH...
Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

mrjibba
New User
Posted: 11/03/13 05:53 PM

The grooves that you are referring to are the ones that the NSS slides over correct?  I am not sure what you mean by the length from the center and the curves of the manual lever? Are you talking the the shift lever that goes from the shifter the shift arm on the tranny?  THe stock one that I had (1966) did not fit and I had to lengthen it  and fabricate my own.  Thanks for the pics. I have the same looking tranny. My has the shift lever facing the ground instead of pointing up. Thanks for explaining everything- I am a newbie....peace.