• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Steering wheel.....

fredallyn
New User
Posted: 12/13/13 06:40 PM

While at a wrecking yard today getting part of the wiring harness for the headlights for my 69 Mach One, I told the LADY in the yard about my cracked deluxe rim blow steering wheel that needed to be replaced, but it would have to wait, because the $600 price tag was just too much....she asked if any other cars could have it...we went through about 12 cars and had given up hope, when we stumbled across a 73 Merc Grand Marquis with a tri spoke with rim blow wheel in perfect condition...I asked how much, and she said 'what is it worth to you?' thinking i should not have told her about the $600 price, just as a starter, i told her I could give her $25.  SHE ACCEPTED!!!!
Now!!!  Will this wheel ACTUALLY work??  Has anyone else tried this including replacing the pad???  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 12/13/13 10:04 PM

probably..

please compare the horn contact rings on the bottom side of the steering wheel..

i think there are several articles on rim blow steering wheel restorations in the 4 mustang and ford magazines here and possibly out in some of the others.. like car craft and popular hot rodding..

the partial interchange manual that is usually siting next to my computer desk has grown legs since last week.. i know where i keep it but its not there..
i will look around this weekend for some of the articles..

there are slightly different horn contact ring spacing on some models..  and i don't know off the top of my head. but it sounds like you get a great deal...  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 12/14/13 12:33 PM

oh... the rim blow steering wheel rebuild is right here in MM

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_1205_rim_blow_steering_wheel_build/

and some more steering wheel articles from the many magazines here...

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/sch/02/steering-wheel/articles/?searchSource=SourceInterlinkMedia

don't know if it will help with your interchange issue..