• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Found a 1970 sportcoupe BOSS clone ...

golden68
New User
Posted: 12/25/13 07:02 PM

I am not one to keep things original ... and this car is not.

It appears to be a very nice black on black boss clone with a 347 stroker? It looks to be in fantastic shape. new paint -- not perfect but pretty nice. The undercarrage is coated and all seems to be good.

My cars ('68 totaled and '13 CS) are daily drivers. This looks to be a pretty good one. I get nervous on a couple of things ... it is the winter (my brain says NEVER buy a car in the Minnesota winter) and everything that could be wrong with the car is hidden.

I need some advice ... how do I decide if I should get this car. I do really like it  Cool  They want $22,000 and that seems too high. I thing $18,000 sounds about right. You can't get a good starter 1970 for less that $12,000 really. They have reciepts of $29,000.

Can you guys give me any and all thoughts, advice and fears?

I am very drawn to this car, but also fearful because my 1968 I purchased the day after 9-11 was only $3,000 and I knew what I has when I started.

ANY thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!  

dond1965
New User
Posted: 12/25/13 09:46 PM

cant get a good starter for less than 12,000. they have 29,00 in receipts. you want to pay 18,000. they want 22,000...... do the math, and NEVER look a gift horse in the mouth.  

golden68
New User
Posted: 12/26/13 06:28 AM

That is what I was thinking ... should I trust that there are no major issues hidden in December?
Any other thoughts?  

dond1965
New User
Posted: 12/26/13 11:13 AM

ask if you can put down a deposit, and make it legal by involving a certified public accountant, so that you can enter an agreement to pay in full at a later date, AFTER a more complete inspection and test drive. if they say no, move on.  

shyrgfuh70
New User
Posted: 12/27/13 02:19 PM

Icon Quotegolden68:
That is what I was thinking ... should I trust that there are no major issues hidden in December?
Any other thoughts?

"should I trust that there are no major issues hidden in December?
Any other thoughts?"

you should never ever trust there are no major issues. to the contrary assume there are unless you are rich. 347 strokers typically go very few miles because they are built out pf chinese parts by rookies and sold on ebay.

look at all the original spot welds in the door jambs, bottom of rockers and bottom of quarter panels. stick a magnet on lower parts of body and around wheel wells.

i better be a fastback for that money. pray that it has a v8 vin number and v8 suspension.  

golden68
New User
Posted: 12/27/13 08:16 PM

it is a V8 according to VIN too.

checked with magnet too

It seems pretty good. It looks really nice ... it is just that buying in December stuff ...  

golden68
New User
Posted: 12/27/13 08:17 PM

anyone else have any thoughts?

One guy pretty in favor ... one not as excited.

Please any thoughts would be great.  

elgordito55
New User
Posted: 12/28/13 10:48 AM

If it's a clone then everything else is a clone-why worry about---unless I wanted a clone I wouldn't buy it--  

golden68
New User
Posted: 12/28/13 01:52 PM

The car has some "bubbles" in the back truck top area. Could be water spots. It needs the back seat area done with clips, etc (they were going to change it to a fold down..) Motor sounds good, but can't drive it -- winter. They save $29,000 in reciepts and $9,000 in 347 stroker motor, new radiator, electonic ignition etc (the $9,000 not verified) but can be seen in a folder. window moldings need some tweking. It is missing the window strip on both sides that seal out wind / rain. missing heater and radio. Not too concerned can add later. cowl looks to be a little "bent". The seat is was too over stuffed and too high off the car. Minor fix I think.  

golden68
New User

My nagging concern is this ... I was a really NICE start to restoration. But many little things are not done. That in itself happens ... run out of money.

BUT -- the guy that owns it said he traded his Chevelle for it and then drove it for the summer in his small town for about 100 miles but is now willing to get rid of it for the right price. To be fair it is at a RETRO shop to finish but the guy said he would sell it for the right price. Biut now he wants the money and wants to fix up a number matching 70 mach 1 with a 429. That is 25Gs in ok starting condition.

Does any of that cause a red flag or just maybe something to think about and check it out as far as we can?

I do love the car ... It speaks to me.  

golden68
New User

My nagging concern is this ... I was a really NICE start to restoration. But many little things are not done. That in itself happens ... run out of money.

BUT -- the guy that owns it said he traded his Chevelle for it and then drove it for the summer in his small town for about 100 miles but is now willing to get rid of it for the right price. To be fair it is at a RETRO shop to finish but the guy said he would sell it for the right price. Biut now he wants the money and wants to fix up a number matching 70 mach 1 with a 429. That is 25Gs in ok starting condition.

Does any of that cause a red flag or just maybe something to think about and check it out as far as we can?

I do love the car ... It speaks to me.  

shyrgfuh70
New User
Posted: 12/28/13 03:06 PM

"The car has some "bubbles" in the back truck top area. Could be water spots."

bubbles are not water spots, they are paint lifting typically from rust. this is where the term rust bubbles cones from.

"They save $29,000 in reciepts and $9,000 in 347 stroker motor, new radiator, electonic ignition etc (the $9,000 not verified)"

you can buy a low quality stroker on ebay for 4k you can have a shop build one for 6k, 9k is a bit unbelievable.

the additional repairs you listed might cost around 2k.

why is the cowl bent?

did you look for orig spot welds?  

golden68
New User
Posted: 12/28/13 04:22 PM

I kind of thought the bubbles were rust spots too, but the body guy says they could be waterspots so I don;t know.

I will check the reciepts on Monday -- I have heard of those "cheap" knock off strokers too.

what do i look for on the cowl? original spot welds?  

shyrgfuh70
New User
Posted: 12/28/13 05:19 PM

I kind of thought the bubbles were rust spots too, but the body guy says they could be waterspots so I don;t know.

I WOULD WALK WAY, THE BODY GUY IS LYING, HE'S A FRIEND OF THE SELLER. Since when can a body guy NOT be able to tell the difference between a rust bubble and a water spot? That's kinda like a doctor saying "well i'm not sure if that huge lump on your head is from a brain tumor or just dandruff.".

XXXXX

what do i look for on the cowl? original spot welds?  

THE EXTERIOR COWL PANEL IN FRONT OF THE WINDOW WITH THE VENTS THAT IS PAINTED IS REMOVABLE. HOW CAN IT GET DAMAGED, Hmmm?