• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

slight clicking at lifters?

Luke65
User
Posted: 07/08/13 04:50 AM

So my next thing is when my 65 289 auto four barrel is running there is a constant clicking sound comming from under the valve cover on the drivers side but there isn't a sound like this on the passenger side.     Any ideas .    I was told by someone oh don't worry its nothing.   But that can't be right.                                         Thanks for the input  

70bird
User
Posted: 07/08/13 05:40 AM

Hello

How many miles are on the lifters?

Are they stock type or Comp Cams?

Is your cam stock?

Do you know how to adjust them?

It should be looked at, lifter tick is typically out of adjustment, weak lifter, defective comp lifter or cam lobe going flat.  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 07/08/13 08:01 AM

one thing.    i would want to do a mechanical oil pressure check.. there are oil pressure test gauges on hoses available..

you might want to check the exhaust manifold bolts to the head..  once in a while when those come loose.. or the exhaust manifold gasket blows.. it will make a ticking noise like a loose valve...

second thing.. what weight oil... and is it dirty??? how about adding a pint of marvel mystery oil to clean the varnish out of the lifters..  marvel mystery oil is not THICK goop.. its thin.. red liquid.. loosens the debris that can clog lifters..

third is to remove the valve cover and check the adjustment...   but with the engine idling.. valve cover off.. some cardboard to prevent splashing the exhaust...  look at the push rod rotation..  push rods should rotate at a slow speed..  and they should rotate in ONE direction...  not back and forth.. ...  if they are rotating back and forth.. that indicates a concave wear pattern on the lifter bottom and the cam lobe will have  been ruined..  

Luke65
User
Posted: 07/08/13 11:40 AM

The engine has 36000origonal miles and has never been rebuilt to my k.owledge  I am assuming it a lifter or something it is commi.g from inside the valve cover on the driver side if it is a lifter or what not how do o go about correcting it?        Thanks once again  

70bird
User
Posted: 07/08/13 12:15 PM

Hello

Unless you know 100% for a fact it is 36k orig then it is 136k miles.

You can  try cleaner first as suggested by Waynepp. Lucas oil makes the best product for that, that I have found. Ask for it at your bigger chain parts stores.

To try and fix it, get eng warm, turn idle down if its high, remove valve cover, slip cardboard onto valves as splash guard as Wayne says. If you don't get it to work don't worry. As long as idle is low you should not spolatter oil.

Start eng, try to isolate which one is ticking, use long narrow screw driver as stethescope if necessary, back nut off until tick becomes louder. No moree than 1 1/2 turns. Turn nut in until tick stops, no more than 2 turns, if tick remains lifter is likely varnished, bad or cam is going flat.  

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 07/09/13 12:40 PM

I agree with the other two posters except- Justice Brothers has a product called Engine Tuneup that does a first rate job of freeing up sticky lifters (we used it extensively in the repair shop I worked at in the 70-80's).  

You can also buy little clips that are attached to the rockers that block the oil weep holes -nobody likes a messy engine I suggest you buy the clips.  

54packman
Enthusiast
Posted: 08/31/13 04:20 PM

throw half a bottle of automatic transmission fluid into the engine, it will clean out the lifters