• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Automatic Transmission Filler Tube

SpikeJ
New User
Posted: 07/30/13 07:11 PM

We are doing a restomod on a 1968 Mustang.  We bought it with a 302 and auto transmission.  The original was a 6 cylinder manual trans.  So obviously all different pieces.  My question has to do with the filler. The bolt loop does not match up to the place where it bolts to the engine block, its to high a couple inches or so.  I've tried to make sure its installed, pushed in far enough but it seems to be seated correctly.  Are their different length tubes?  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 07/30/13 08:21 PM

yes.. the V8 versions have a different shape than the straight six versions.

depending on where you live.. you might have a transmission parts supplier that might have a selection of them from cores...

there are a bunch of different aftermarket providers..

when the dipstick is inserted into the tube.. the full mark as i recall.. should be about an inch and a half past the end of the tube.   i could be wrong.. and i should know.. i think i might have a V8 66/67 dipstick tube and dipstick out in my VW bus that i use for storage of greasy things..  i will see if i can get some measurements tomorrow.. and perhaps some part numbers off them...

came out of a 66/67 fairlane 500 289..   i just don't recall how deep in the pile the dipstick tube might be..  if it made it into the pile..  its most of the way up the windows in the back so its deep...

in just looking around.. i saw new tubes starting about 16 bucks.. and tubes and dipsticks around 40...  but.. its up to you where you want to buy it from..  

SpikeJ
New User
Posted: 07/31/13 08:31 AM

Thanks for the reply.   So I guess the long and short is to find a dip stick & tube that would match the dimensions I need.