• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

'66 Automatic Shifter Adjustment

Brazil
New User
Posted: 08/04/13 10:11 AM

I recently replaced some worn out bushings that made my floor mounted shifter wobbley, but now I need some advice on adjustment.

I have to be really careful when it's put into park that I shove it all the way forward, or it will say goodbye and take off backwards...

It also doesn't click or lock into park, I don't know if that's normal on a '66 'Stang.

thanks!

PS: Excuse the Trans Am logo, I'm not being able to log into my old Mustang account.  Crazy  

70bird
User
Posted: 08/04/13 01:40 PM

Hello

Put car in neutral, remove clip that holds rod in place on shifter. Turn the nut/pin combo counter clock wise 2 turns. Assemble and check again.

There should be a hair of force required to push shifter all the way forward. This insures you are in park.

Fords love to come out of park even though the shifter itself stays in park. Always use e brake when on hills. Pull it hard, they suck!

There is no click or lock. As long as your button pops all the way back out when shifter is in park it is correct. If there is free play in your button it is not fully engaged.  

Brazil
New User
Posted: 08/04/13 02:19 PM

Got'ya!

Many thanks - by the time the coals are hot it'll be fixed!