• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

'66 Automatic Shifter Adjustment

Brazil
New User
Posted: 08/04/13 10:07 AM

I recently replaced some bushings that made my floor mounted shifter wobbley, but now I need some advice on adjustment.

I have to be really careful when it's put into park that I shove it all the way forward, or it will say goodbye and take off backwards...

thanks!  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 08/04/13 12:27 PM

get under it...  get the transmission in neutral.. stick the pin thru the neutral safety switch...

then with somebody in the drivers seat if you can.. stick the gear shifter in neutral against the lower stop close to drive..  then tighten the adjuster under the car..

this should give you the perfect adjustment...

one thing.. has the transmission been rebuilt or worse.. Exchanged..

there are different manual levers for different years of transmissions.. and if the wrong one was installed. the gear shift pattern will be wrong.. i have had this happen a few times on other models..

Fordc4neutralsafetyswitchadjustment

~~~~~~~~

655Mump 1101 16 Service F

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fordc4 Neutraleafetyswitch

perhaps this will help..

and the next time i am down by my friends transmission parts store.. i am going to ask him to bring out the box of used manual levers so i can line them up and photograph them..  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 08/04/13 12:35 PM

Oh.. one last thing.. please while under the car with the shift rod or lever disconnected so the manual lever is free to move with your input..

please verify that the manual lever has not come UNSOLDERED from the manual shaft.. the lever where you can see is just barely attached to the shaft going thru..

i have found several of them on C4 transmissions and even a few on A4ld transmissions...

one lady friend took her car to a name brand transmission repair shop.. they rebuilt her transmission for 1800 bucks and it still would not go into park.. they told her that something is wrong with her car.. that it's not their problem.. but when she pointed out that its the same problem that she brought the car in for..  they just walked away..  i found the manual lever was broken away from the shift shaft.. and i actually got her most of her money back from the transmission rebuilder.. as we have laws against that type of crookedness here in california..  if you know who to call..  

70bird
User
Posted: 08/04/13 01:35 PM

Hello

Put car in neutral, remove clip that holds rod in place on shifter. Turn the nut/pin combo counter clock wise 2 turns. Assemble and check again.

There should be a hair of force required to push shifter all the way forward. This insures you are in park.

Fords love to come out of park even though the shifter itself stays in park. Always use e brake when in hills.  

Brazil
New User
Posted: 08/04/13 08:27 PM

Thanks guy's,

Got it adjusted. Good to have my buds from the Pontiac Forum along on the Mustang ride!

Braz