• Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

Problem with reverse

mauro.merisio
New User
Posted: 03/01/14 12:12 PM

Hello sorry for my english ..... I have a problem with the automatic transmission c4 in my 67 fastback.
I have reviewed all the internal parts of the transmission, I replaced it with a specific kit the valve boby, reassembled the gearbox, everything works except the R (does not enter the machine does not move).
I am fortunate to also have a 66 coupe which I made a wild complete overhaul to change (this works perfectly), while it was removed I tried to replace the entire valve body on 'another change and R times thicker this is entry.
Question might be, then the valve body ruined you have any suggestions to help me, and if I have to replace it I know how to give some address where to buy it.
I look forward to your suggestions
greetings
Mauro Italy  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 03/01/14 02:41 PM

lets try some reverse thinking..

take a look at the gear train in a C4 transmission...

in reverse.. the REVERSE HIGH clutch needs to be engaged and the REVERSE BAND needs to be engaged ..

C4geartrain Zps2fa7e0bd

you can see the reverse HIGH gear clutch pack is closest to the front of the transmission.. the reverse band is all the way deep into the case..

did you have any problems with the one way clutch all the way to the right side..

it stops the low reverse drum from spinning backward.. so when the band grips and holds the outside of the low reverse drum. it forces the rotation to go thru the reverse sun gears and to spin the output shaft backward.. giving you reverse..

please.. if you have compressed air..   find a new tire valve stem..

and use that with a clip on tire filling chuck to air check the various apply passages with the valve body out..  this can be done with the transmission installed and the valve body out..

Dr414100 Rubber Snap In Tubeless Valve Stem Qty100 Vh414

or depending on what you have.. i always screwed it into the end of a blow gun.. its not legal in the united states to really do that anymore.. big fine as stupid jokers have done damage to people with it..  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 03/01/14 02:45 PM

here is a video on air checking the various apply circuits in the C4 transmission..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucTqlOHhCxM

lastly.. i am taking that the reverse band will tighten on the reverse drum and that you have loosened the adjustment a proper amount before tightening the jam nut..

i have forgotten what the band adjustments are on that.. if you need that info.. i can look it up..  

mauro.merisio
New User
Posted: 03/02/14 06:37 AM

Thanks for your kind reply, my mechanic has already tried to do this test with compressed air and it works ..... the thing that is strange is that by mounting the valve body of the transmission of my 66 coupe of exchange fastback 67 enters the reverse ....  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 03/02/14 07:53 PM

when the air check the REVERSE BAND and spin the drive shaft.. does the input shell  spin the other direction...

indicating that the sprag is actually working  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 03/02/14 07:57 PM

i will have to dig into the C4 manual from ATSG and see is there is an issue with swapping the valve bodies.. i know there are some differences..

whats a huge pain is i had both early and late transmissions in the back of a van i had for 30+ years.. i used to store parts in.  the impound nabbed it.. i cannot get it back..  30 years of parts collecting gone..  

mauro.merisio
New User
Posted: 03/10/14 12:50 PM

disassembled the valve body again and I decided to replace it, you have recommendations to buy, where can I find them, I consiglite a rebuilt or a new one and performing?
regards Mauro  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 03/10/14 06:12 PM

did you perform the air checks???? to verify that the reverse band applies.. that the rear sprag is installed in the proper direction..

did you find any broken springs??????   NO YOYO calibration kits are available.

can you identify exactly which one you have..
http://www.transgo.com/C4ID.pdf

thats a great link..  book mark it quickly.. the forums are going to change and all this might be gone..

i cover a bunch of other forums.. you can always find me over at automotive.com forums..

i have several transmission parts suppliers here in los angeles.. but which valve body do you need exactly..  

mauro.merisio
New User
Posted: 03/11/14 10:58 AM

Thanks for the reply, I have already taken steps to change the springs with his kit Transgo but nothing has changed (the work was done by my mechanic, and I hope I did everything correctly)
It is a valve body for an automatic transmission model 1967 C4
greetings  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 03/11/14 12:40 PM

here is one supplier.. that might have some and perhaps ships overseas...

my local transmission parts guy is not interested in shipping overseas...

http://www.slauson.com

perhaps there are others out there..

did you see the link i posted.. and did you hand the images from  that to your mechanic..  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 03/11/14 12:42 PM

here is another i thought of after i had clicked...

http://www.fatsco.com/

so now you have a choice of several.  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 03/11/14 12:46 PM

and this.. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pma-pa26301/overview/make/ford

ready to bolt in..  

mauro.merisio
New User
Posted: 03/11/14 02:39 PM

1000 Thanks, tomorrow I deliver the images to the mechanic.
also excellent links that I've been through, I now have a wide choice
Thanks again
greetings  

mauro.merisio
New User
Posted: 03/13/14 12:36 PM

I have the valve body in the hand and read this code. C9AP-7A0932-B above and below the RF-C9AP-7A101-E.
Sorry for the question, but the valve body indicated by Summit esteticamnete looks different (change something) '.
One more question what it means to the end REVERCE.
thanks  

mauro.merisio
New User
Posted: 03/13/14 12:38 PM

I mean Reverse Manual Valve Body,  

12 Last